Not Secure

Go down

Not Secure Empty Not Secure

Post  Lesley Niyori on Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:53 am

My browser is now telling me our site here is 'Not Secure'.

It's the only place on the internet I'm getting this reaction.

It's a rating you get to the left of the address information.

Any ideas?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Not Secure Empty Re: Not Secure

Post  Tara on Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:25 pm

It's because the site is not using a certificate, and so doesn't support HTTPS authentication and encryption. Adding a certificate will make the newest versions of browsers quit complaining, and should also help improve Google search results, as Google penalizes sites without certificates.

Forumotion does appear to support certificates, so it's a matter of Celia acquiring and installing one. The Electronic Frontier Foundation will provide certificates gratis via their Let's Encrypt service.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~*~ Tara

"Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see." — Edgar A. Poe
Tara
Tara

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:08 pm

I have spent a little time looking in to this and also at the Let's Encrypt website. Forumotion is not on their list, so it becomes a manual thing that is beyond my computer skill. I visiited another site that wanted 200 dollars and yet another that was free.

The free one wanted me to do a FTP verification..... well,t all might as well be written in Yiddish to me, coz I have not a clue what they were going on about with DLS, FTP, Https and all that stuff. Anyway, I soon found that cannot be done, from them, or Let's Encrypt etc., see below.....

Then I looked within Forumotion and ya can upload Https or Http or whatever it is upon it. However, they want it to become a paying website to do that. Here is the page, please give me feedback about all that it says.

https://www.forumotion.com/create-https-forum

Now, on this next link page below, near the bottom of the page, it says: It's not possible to install an SSL certificate on a forum with an external domain name (CNAME) because we do not have control on external domain names.

https://help.forumotion.com/t150650-ssl-certificate-guide-for-a-success-forum-migration-to-https

Oh my!

Celia xx

Not Secure Mtm
Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow.
Mary Tyler Moore (1936-2017).
Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

http://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tara on Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:08 pm

Yikes! Thanks for checking, anyway, Celia. I'm a programmer, and have some experience with certificates, and it still seems like black magic sometimes. If you get the obscure Latin incantation right, you can accomplish wonderful things, but if you mispronounce one word, a demon from the pit of Hell comes and devours your soul.

I expect that the Forumotion people will be under pressure to solve this, as more browsers start flagging sites as insecure.

~*~ Tara

"Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see." — Edgar A. Poe
Tara
Tara

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:26 pm

Ok good to know it isn't just a me thing. I will leave it the hands of people who know.

Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:35 pm

FTP - File Transfer Protocol. The forum owner should be able to supply a FTB site for uploading the certificate.

I don't know much about certificates except they come in the form of a .txt file that MUST be up loaded exactly as the file is encrypted in a 256 bit (usually) format although I think there are some 1024 bit encrypted certificates out there.

It is not a difficult task but it does take time and a need to be EXACT.

If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum