How do you 'play' (no, not with yourself), I meant as in fun stuff

Go down

How do you 'play' (no, not with yourself), I meant as in fun stuff Empty How do you 'play' (no, not with yourself), I meant as in fun stuff

Post  Lesley Niyori on Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:03 pm

Hey everyone, we all 'play' ie goof off, have fun, do something to entertain ourselves.

With me, when not reading a book (which I call escapism and not really 'playing' per se), I tend to love making a model.

Ideally, you can find me making a model far more easily than anything else at all.

I 'should' be getting more paintings done, or writing, but, I tend to default to making models.

If I'm stressed, I often just sit and colour. It makes it easier to focus and relax. So colouring isn't so much 'playing' as it is employing a mental health tactic.

I'm not really a gamer, so I can't claim to 'play' by playing games. Although, I wish I COULD play role games (the paper n pencil type though) a great deal more often. If I had the option to, I'd likely spend at least a couple of hours at this sort of playing, several times a week.

So I suppose I'm claiming my main form of 'play' as model making.
I love my Barbies and my dolls, but it's my Lego that gets me 'doing' something generally speaking. The thing is, Lego is about 'building' and that is essentially a model sub-category.

What's your main 'play' choice?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

How do you 'play' (no, not with yourself), I meant as in fun stuff Empty Re: How do you 'play' (no, not with yourself), I meant as in fun stuff

Post  Celia Eriksson on Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:28 pm

Hi Lesley!

Yes, I remember that you make models and are a member of a club. Did not know that ya read books though. I've dabbled with drawing and painting, I showed some of my stuff on the old boards and I remember seeing yours there.

Well, golf and badminton and sometimes tenpin bowling are my mainstay, walking, not too far as well. Shopping is my number one, but I don't think that counts as winding down unless ya make some top rated buys!

As for gaming, I am same as you, don't play much. But I do dabble with Bubblewitch Saga and one I recommend for you might be Kardashian Hollywood, as you like Barbies and that. I do have a dabble every week or two, but 'aint too serious about it. I got to a 'C' lister in the game, which is about half way there.

I'm off to Whist night now, another pastime. I also like to play chess, long time since I have had a game, but I play online occasionally.

Celia xx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do you 'play' (no, not with yourself), I meant as in fun stuff Mtm
Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow.
Mary Tyler Moore (1936-2017).
Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

http://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

How do you 'play' (no, not with yourself), I meant as in fun stuff Empty Re: How do you 'play' (no, not with yourself), I meant as in fun stuff

Post  Lesley Niyori on Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:42 pm

"Did not know that ya read books though."

OMG!!! really?

I've read so many textbooks that I have about 10 degrees worth of knowledge in my head (primarily planetary sciences, space sciences, history and paleontology with a hefty dose of arts and technology).

During high school, it was a standing boast I'd give a person a dollar if they encountered me and I didn't have a book with me.

I get anxious if I'm without a book.

In the movies and anime, I'm the girl that forgoes most 'fun' activities to read a book.
I'd rather read on the beach than swim.
If I'm out in the middle of nowhere roughing it camping, I'll still have a book with me.

Books actually define me more than any other trait.

Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  mariehart1 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:51 am

Play? There was a time but  it seems to be gone now. I too built models, fancy that I still do. Recently buying a fancy Tamiya Ferrari model all the way from Japan. Top of the range. I bought all the paint and started it enthusiastically. It lies unfinished like all other models I have. I love model Aeroplanes but haven't finished a model this century.

I loved reading and was a fast reader. A book was polished off in a couple of hours. Newspapers were swiftly devoured, magazines cherished. I still buy them but they lie unfinished even my favourites.

I was a bookworm, I remember a librarian telling me off for coming back too soon after borrowing a few books. They hadn't put them through the system back in the pre computer days. I basically worked my way through the children's library as a kid and most of the adults. I love history, just devoured it. I bought books by the bushel and read them all at least twice. I am a very fast reader.

I loved painting pictures and writing stories. I loved flying and riding my motorcycle. I loved life and and loved the future I planned for myself.

I loved computers and video games. I had one of the first Playstations but I had a Sega Megdrive before that. I actually won the Playstation. Basically I locked myself in my room for weeks after that. I loved PC games and when I had a bit of luck on the lottery I bought a Playstation 3 and played it a lot. Great. My boys inherited that but I later bought them and me a Playstation 4 pro.

But I rarely played the  PS4, even though my son convinced my wife to buy a game for me. I've never played it for any length of time.

Actually my sons have noticed this. Daddy doesn't play anymore. Being the adorable little men they are. They try to help me. But it's gone. The 'gra' is gone, an Irish term, desire, interest.  A friend contacted my wife in 2016 and said he was interested in going to the airshow at Oshkhosh and wanted me to come too but he knew I wouldn't agree even though it was a long standing dream of mine. She agreed and booked me a flight. I was furious but I went and was miserable even though I adore being in the USA. I wasn't with my family. The interest had gone.

I can't watch a film through or want to go out for a meal.

So there is no play for me. I've grown up and there's no room for frivolity. A side effect of accepting who I am?
I have a 'serious head' on me these days, as Dubliners would put it in their unique way. But my boys don't accept that, being the puppies they are. They constantly leap on me, wagging their tails, trying to pop my seriousness, never taking me seriously. The cover me in kisses and hugs and make fun of my sterness. The brats. Perhaps that's my play. The interaction with my little maneens as they country people put it.

Being grown up isn't much fun. So I get you Lesley.

I play Candy Crush though. Fun? I take it very seriously. Smile

mariehart1

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:38 am

Wow, the two ends of the spectrum. The totally tied up adult woman and the very young minded wild fun one, that's obviously you Marie and you Lesley. But, I believe you are both probably, at heart similar. It's balance between the two that ya should both try and find, I maybe wrong actually, fun sounds better.

I loved historical novels Marie, but now simply don't find time either, I make do with period TV drama, which I love, again when time. I probably get more time than you though by the sound of it! And like Lesley, I like some of the things she does too, but not quite to the extent, like I also have no time to paint, play or cuddle that cuddly inanimate friend as often as I should!!!!

I certainly have time to watch a film through though and if there's one I have to watch, my phones go off and I watch! As for travel Marie, grab it while ya can, I want to do lots more, it's just I got lots going on right now also, else I would too! We are all different and have different interests, quality of life is important and I think right now, Lesley has it, coz she has more time than us to do her things. I don't know that I could be as suffocated as to never doing nothing fun that I want to do Marie, your boys are right, play, let ya hair down, have some fun! Celia xx

How do you 'play' (no, not with yourself), I meant as in fun stuff Mtm
Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow.
Mary Tyler Moore (1936-2017).
Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

http://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mariehart1 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:02 am

Thanks Celia, as ever you set the right tone. You're right of course I should lighten up. My boys they are sweethearts. I know it. My youngest was hugging me before going to bed. When I didn't respond properly, he said: 'No, you must put both arms around me'
They keep me grounded.
I do watch history documentaries and I love do love anything by Mary Beard or Lucy Worsley. The boys say Lucy is my girlfriend.
But they're usually in bed by the time I get to watch those programs.
But your never off duty with kids. I always have an ear listening for them.
It's funny how your mindset changes when you have children. I simply had no idea before.

mariehart1

Back to top Go down

Post  tiffany_elizabeth on Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:36 am

Video games, mostly. Been playing a lot of Space Engineers lately. Normally survival mode, but I've been hitting creative mode to make up some blueprints for survival mode (no, it's not cheating. You still have to have the materials to build each block, you just build from a hologram displaying a design you've already built and tested instead of cobbling stuff together and hoping it works).

I have to admit, building by stacking predefined blocks is infuriating at times. I wanted to build a base that was largely inspired by (though not a complete copy of) the Tiberian Sun era Temple of Nod. It's utterly impossible.

tiffany_elizabeth

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum