Wars
The asteroid Apophis or any other solar system object dropping on Earth
The effect of an exploding star aiming a gamma ray burst at us
A killer bug infecting our species

What I can control (by myself):

I will not buy any made of ivory hopefully saving an elephant
I will not buy anything made from rhinoceros horn
I will not purposely destroy anything unnecessarily

I will not assume any guilt for something I cannot control.

Remember, there have been 5 mass extinction events in the geo/biological history of the Earth:

Ordovician-Silurian mass extinction
Late Devonian mass extinction
Permian mass extinction
Triassic-Jurassic mass extinction
Cretaceous-Tertiary mass extinction

All totaled, mass extinctions have removed over 99% of all species that have ever lived on Earth.

We as humans will not destroy the Earth. There is absolutely NOTHING we, as humans can do to destroy the Earth. The Earth will likely survive, if only as a burnt out rock as long as the Sun does not expand and burn us up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Re: Humans are literal fucking cancer

Post  tiffany_elizabeth on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:49 pm

You do realize that humans aren't the only organisms who have dramatically altered the planet and caused extinctions, aren't you?

Cyanobacteria actually changed the very makeup of our atmosphere. Before they came along it was mostly like Mars', only thicker. Land was uninhabitable for life as we know it before cyanobacteria came along and their flatulence gave us a breathable atmosphere.

Before humans extinction wasn't limited to mass extinction events. Organisms were still going extinct on a regular basis. Disease, over hunting by predators, a local collapse in one part of the food chain that propagated upward, climate change (before humans were even around to cause it, I might add), all kinds of things.

Worst case scenario, our atmosphere goes back to a Precambrian composition. It will kill off all land animals, but the oceans have enough oxygen that marine life will continue. Land will either be dominated exclusively by plant life for the two billion years following, when the sun will ultimately reach its peak output (fun fact: the sun isn't even middle-aged yet. It's still warming up to its maximum temperature) and boil away the earth's oceans and scorch the plant life, or the plants will reoxygenate the atmosphere and oxygen breathing land animals will make a return.

And here's the thing. It's all natural. Leaf cutter ants cultivate fungus where fungus couldn't survive without massive intervention from the ants and everyone calls it natural. Other species of ant keep smaller bugs as livestock to "milk," and species that hunt detrivores will actually set up garbage chambers so they can raise their own prey in their colonies and everyone calls it natural. At least one species of ant will actively seek out and kill every tree within a certain radius of their nest to encourage the growth of a specific tree and everyone calls it natural. Wasps and bees collect wood fiber, combine it with their saliva, and produce a building material that wouldn't otherwise exist in nature and everyone calls it natural. Wasps, after building a nest from manufactured building material, will go out and hunt caterpillars to bring back to their young and everyone calls it natural.

And yet as far as most people are concerned humans aren't part of nature. We cultivate plants that wouldn't survive without our intervention, we keep livestock for mainly the same reason ants do, we kill vegetation that's either harmful to us directly (poison ivy and the like) or harmful to a plant species that we rely on. We manufacture building materials, sometimes out of wood, sometimes out of rock and water in the form of concrete. We hunt.

We do all of the things that are considered natural in invertebrates, yet many in our own species call those very things abominations against nature. Everything we do and make is, by its very nature, natural. The intelligence to shape various minerals into dwellings and other things arose naturally. The intelligence to take the liquefied remains of dead plants and use its flammability as a means to propel constructs built from various minerals arose naturally. The intelligence to solidify those liquefied remains in the form of "synthetic" polymers arose naturally.

We are part of nature, and everything we do is the consequence of an intelligence that we naturally possess allowing us to utilize natural resources for our survival, much in the same way that bees and wasps know that they can utilize wood fibers and their own saliva to manufacture nesting material that you won't just find on the forest floor and some ants know that by killing most trees the one they need will be more likely to grow.

If, and this is a big if, human activity is changing the atmosphere then it's a continuation of the cycle that started when cyanobacteria changed the atmosphere from mostly carbon dioxide to an oxygen rich environment.

tiffany_elizabeth

Back to top Go down

Re: Humans are literal fucking cancer

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum