Saw Bohemian Rhapsody yesterday.

Go down

Saw Bohemian Rhapsody yesterday.

Post  Jehanne on Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:12 pm

Kind of started off slow, but a powerful ending! The "drag scene" was completely unexpected and amusing! FM seemed "quite natural" in a skirt, at least as portrayed in the movie.

Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Re: Saw Bohemian Rhapsody yesterday.

Post  Celia Eriksson on Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:14 pm

I want to see that, I do go to the movies, but as much as I wanna see it, I'll wait for it to get on the tv. Great to hear another good review of it. I also want to see The Grinch at some point, I may loan both off my cable company when they come on there, usually quite soon after release. Celia xx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow.
Mary Tyler Moore (1936-2017).
Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

http://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne on Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:50 pm

It will be interesting to know if the US/UK versions are different, and how one would be able to know that, short of watching both films side by side! Of course, the whole origin of Queen was in the UK.

Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  mariehart1 on Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:17 pm

Haven't seen the movie but I assume it refers to the video where Queen dressed up in drag.'I want to break free'.
It was a very British video which did not go down well in the USA. But in Britain it was seen as drag and amusing. I did think Taylor looked particularly good. I was jealous.

mariehart1

Back to top Go down

Post  jentay1367 on Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:17 am

I always loved Queen and thought Freddy was an absolute genius. I'm torn, see it in Dolby Surround or wait and cheap out at Redbox?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything you want is on the other side of fear

jentay1367

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:40 am

Celia Eriksson wrote:... I'll wait for it to get on the tv.
Ah, another nail in the death of the film industry.

by Jehanne on Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:50 pm
It will be interesting to know if the US/UK versions are different, and how one would be able to know that,
The US version will have subtitles in American English! Try watching Trainspotting without closed captioning.

If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  jentay1367 on Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:58 am

I remember when going to the movies with your hunny was a 20 dollar proposition with goodies at the concession stand. It's a 50 dollar bill now, if of course you don't get carried away. And television cost whatever you paid for the box an antenna. Now I think my phones and "entertainment" via cable is about a 250 dollar a month expenditure and we still get to watch commercials. So I can see Celia's desire to just wait it out. It takes so much disposable income to humor ones self these days. It's just alarming once you sit down and add it up.

jentay1367

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne on Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:59 pm

mariehart1 wrote:Haven't seen the movie but I assume it refers to the video where Queen dressed up in drag.'I want to break free'.
It was a very British video which did not go down well in the USA. But in Britain it was seen as drag and amusing. I did think Taylor looked particularly good. I was jealous.

And, here it is:

Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:34 pm

I never appreciated drag and I found nothing to appreciate in the clip.

If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  jentay1367 on Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:41 pm

You kind of have to be a Queen fan, Miki. When you consider the period of time they made music, Mercury's innuendo and how unacceptable anything non-binary was, it gives context to the vid because he always tried to portray a very butch persona but he was actually and closetedly Gay. Once you know the bands history, the camp seems much more ironic.

jentay1367

Back to top Go down

Post  jentay1367 on Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:50 pm

Here's a bit of whimsy for those that are fans...

https://youtu.be/DVl4JDlNTuc

Last edited by jentay1367 on Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:59 pm; edited 3 times in total

jentay1367

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne on Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:52 pm

MichaelaSJ wrote:I never appreciated drag and I found nothing to appreciate in the clip.

I think that they would have looked nicer if they had shaved more!

Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  jentay1367 on Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:55 pm

Lol.....they were all veeeery straight guys except for Freddy. Convincing them to dress like that at all was probably more than a chore

Everything you want is on the other side of fear

jentay1367

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:03 pm

I think the biggest reason I was never into drag was that if I made a comment about it to my friends I would be disclosing this BIG secret I hid for 50+ years. I would not even wear a lei when I was in Hawai'i for fear being found out.

Also, I never wanted to be a glamorous women, just a woman, and drag was so OVER THE TOP as to be offensive to my sense of what a woman is.

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:11 pm

Celia Eriksson wrote:... I'll wait for it to get on the tv.

Miki wrote:Ah, another nail in the death of the film industry.

Oh Miki! They get royalty money every time it's aired! How do you think Olivia de Havilland pays for her Hot Cocoa bedtime drinky?

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jentay1367 on Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:31 pm

The motorcycles, boats, mountain climbing, auto mechanics and scoffing at anything feminine, it was all my "beard". So I know what you're speaking of, Miki. But that was then and now is now and we are us and drag queens are fabulous and life is good ( - ;

jentay1367

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne on Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:19 pm

The last video, for this thread:

Worth the 20 or so minutes.

Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  jentay1367 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:44 pm

Still epic after all these years

jentay1367

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:37 pm

I must admit, I liked their early years, 72 to about 77. A Day At The Races was my favourite album and their first hit Killer Queen, I thought the later stuff was good tooo, but I just like the earlier stuff more. Jess! Loved that clip, though the author has got that wrong, that's not a liccle Mouse, it's a Desert Rat of some kind!!!!

Liked this one lots, not Freddy doin' lead vocals though...:

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne on Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:17 am

I do have to complement the casting directors, as the actors whom they cast do look like the original band members.

Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  jentay1367 on Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:00 am

Isn't that clip darling?. It makes me giggle every time I watch it. So much fun!

39 was onevof their mist underrated songs. There wikl never be another Queen. Wish they had stayed dusbanded but people are demanding it and folks have jobs because of it.

jentay1367

Back to top Go down

Post  mariehart1 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:07 am

jentay1367 wrote:Lol.....they were all veeeery straight guys except for Freddy. Convincing them to dress like that at all was probably more than a chore
Not my experience. Men don't need much of an excuse to dress in drag. The British in particular. In a previous job an fancy dress event was organised. Three handed basketball of all things, that is tied together basketball in fancy dress. My office formed a team. But what to wear. One of the guys Mother had some costumes from an amateur dramatic society. French maid costumes. He suggested we dress in them for the event. I was horrified but all the other guys thought it was brilliant idea. I had to go along with it or lose face. So we all dressed up as French maids. The problem as I overheard one guy saying not realising I could hear him. That I looked the part. The guys looked like men in drag. I looked like a woman apparently. I also got a lot of comments praising my legs on the night.

I was nearly outed.

mariehart1

Back to top Go down

Post  jentay1367 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:25 am

Hi Marie! There's the problem of course. When it comes time to "play" dress up, we, being women know a bit about how to go about it, so we tend to rock it, whereas the guy just looks clownish.
I heard some interviews with May and Taylor and they both made a bit of a thing about how they felt Freddy was making them look a bit fey and that they were quite uncomfortable with it all, but also realized he was the driving creative force of the band.

jentay1367

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne on Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:37 am

I had to look that one up:

Merriam Webster wrote:
fey adjective
\ˈfā
\
Definition of fey

1a chiefly Scotland : fated to die : doomed

b : marked by a foreboding of death or calamity another and lesser man … gave a fey lonely warning— Hodding Carter

2a : able to see into the future : visionary Not being fey, he never suspected what it would lead to.

b : marked by an otherworldly air or attitude she had that half shy, half fey smile and that birdlike perkiness— A. G. Ogden

c : crazy, touched

3a : excessively refined : precious a fey, self-indulgent dandy

b : quaintly unconventional : campy … audiences howl at her off-center delivery of fey folk songs and quaint special material.— Howard Teichmann

Fey is a word that defies its own meaning, since it has yet to even come close to the brink of death after being in our language for well over 800 years. In Old and Middle English it meant "feeble" or "sickly." Those meanings turned out to be fey themselves, but the word lived on in senses related to death, and because a wild or elated state of mind was once believed to portend death, other senses arose from these. The word fay, meaning "fairy" or "elf," may also have had an influence on some senses of "fey." Not until the late 20th century did the word's most recent meanings, "precious" and "campy," find their way onto the pages of the dictionary.

Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down