Chelsea Manning Redux

Go down

Chelsea Manning Redux Empty Chelsea Manning Redux

Post  MichaelaSJ on Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:01 am

WASHINGTON (Reuters) ― A federal appeals court on Monday denied a request by former U.S. Army intelligence analyst Chelsea Manning to be released from jail on bail, and upheld a lower court’s decision to hold Manning in civil contempt for refusing to testify before a grand jury.
The ruling marks a blow for Manning, who has been detained since March after she declined to answer questions in connection with the government’s long-running investigation into Wikileaks and its founder Julian Assange.
I will repeat my previous position - if she wants to protest a lawful order, then she has to be willing to bear the consequences.

A quick review of Thoreau's Civil Disobedience requires one to being ready to be imprisoned for one's duty to one's self.

Rightfully (which I believe), or wrongly (as Manning asserts) it is a duty to one's participation in a government to honor its rules. Manning has an obligation to testify in front of a grand jury to the extent that she does not further incriminate herself. Her testimony is not about her, it is to discover the extent to which Julian Assange coerced Manning to commit a crime.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down