Questions about T and transition

Go down

Questions about T and transition Empty Questions about T and transition

Post  MorganWoolf on Sun May 05, 2019 5:08 am

So, I've been on T for 1 year and 8 months. It's been...difficult. As in, my ovaries have fought this every step of the way. I have to inject once a week because my body metabolizes through T that fast.
My doctor and I didn't figure this out until almost a year into HRT, so I feel behind. I've finally had a stable amount of T in my body for...8 months now? Or so?
Anyhow, my questions

1. Has anyone else had this difficulty and
2. I haven't grown any facial hair yet (except literally one chin hair....One). I think it's been a while. Shouldn't I be growing...something? My dad grows facial hair. My half-brothers grow facial hair. So, is it just taking it's sweet time?

I haven't really changed much.

3. Has anyone else been on HRT and experienced slow progress?

Thanks!
MorganWoolf
MorganWoolf

Back to top Go down

Questions about T and transition Empty Re: Questions about T and transition

Post  CarolynAH on Sun May 05, 2019 7:59 am

I am truly suprised your doctor had you on anything less than once a week. Every other week is a estrogen injection thing in my experience. I know my endocrinologist dropped my estrogen dosage after my bottom surgery and now I am swinging more. and annoyed enough to complain to him.

Getting yourself stable and at the right levels for your body is so important with T. But also be aware that especially with facial hair is it takes time. Though admittedly my experience with testosterone was complicated by the many things that make me me. But it took me nearly decade to develop what my electroligist describes as not any different than the women she treats who suffered with PCOS.

My experience with the transgender men in my life is be patient but everyone is very different. Liam got a deep voice and hair seemed to develop faster than everyone else in just a year. Moby was on for about four years and while he has facial hair it never connected into a full beard and has found testosterone hurting his hair and hurting him in other ways so he has backed it down. Sam took a slow path slowly raising his testosterone and has had little development. Though at some level he seems okay with that pace

Give yourself time and love. T will slowly carry you there. As someone who generally prefers women to men I have been so inspired and challenged by each of them.

CarolynAH
CarolynAH

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori on Sun May 05, 2019 12:57 pm

Hello Morgan.

Age matters so much, and body size, and ancestry.
I started at age 50, so gee, no major breast growth in 4 years, what a surprise Smile

I began my hormone therapy slow, worked up to it over a year or so. Safe never hurts.
I gained likely the most initial effects with the antiandrogen in my case.

So your own progress might be hard to predict.
On shaving, well, you would likely have missed this stage of life Smile but, teen boys tend to grow out their facial hair fast through lots of seemingly pointless shaving of imaginary hair (which only they can see hehe). You might actually encourage hair growth from deliberate daily shaving of what might not seem to be there.

Keep in mind, T is going to make you LOSE head hair and gain body hair. You might like the body facial hair, but just keep in mind, the price is a real chance of male pattern hair loss.

If I can advise on anything, it's to look beyond the mirror.
MOST of your hormonal changes, won't be 'visible'.
I've got a local friend Nate, 37, done the whole been married as female thing, has a daughter and is now after a 21-year marriage, that is gone, is trying hard to master MAN 101.
Most of his troubles ain't in growing out a beard and getting a deeper voice.
He's having trouble wrapping his head around the difference in role, and mannerisms.

One day you're mom and Mrs, and then you've gone from cute and sexy in a dress to an asshole with a binder and a suit and tie with a teenager voice that is cracking Smile
So keep in mind, you might start acting more 'angry'.

I did the transgender girl version of the above. Awkward at 50-57.
I went from looking like a 70-year-old warehouse manager dad of a son and a 27-year marriage (it ended too) to looking 35 and an awkward hippie girl who only wears skirts and dresses and frets over her looks a lot more than before. And I'm prone to crying and I'm a lot more empathic. The voice sadly still sounds like a warehouse manager.

About the only significant thing hormones have done for me, is making the body hair disappear (soooo glad for that). I still have to shave daily. Facial hair I think is forever until killed off. I'm post-op in my case. So I've gone the route of surgically correcting my hassles in that area.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  mariehart1 on Sun May 05, 2019 1:41 pm

It varies even with cis men. I was in my twenties before I needed to shave more than once a week. Even then it was fluffy stuff. Body hair was also slow to develop which in my case was a good thing, even now its minimal. Meanwhile others develop early. One of my school friends had a full beard aged 15. I imagine he was a bit of a bear too when it came to body hair. Ick!

My voice stayed high relatively pitched too. Maybe because I've little or Adam's apple.
Each to his own.

mariehart1

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Sun May 05, 2019 4:08 pm

Hi Morgan!

Time will tell, I am sure more will come and as others and I have said before, (I am sure you already know), things don't happen overnight and after 20 months, expect more. Changes are not always apparent to oneself anyway, others notice far more...

From a mtf angle, we can only relate from our experiences and I think everything that has been covered by Carolyn and Lesley is about our limit on t. I do believe Lesley has it spot on about advantages with age, ancestry and size. Yes, patience and perseverance pays off big-time.

BTW, hopefully Zed is here somewhere, he only recently started his hrt and may wish to turn the table and ask your advice on guy stuff.

Celia xx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Questions about T and transition Mtm
Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow.
Mary Tyler Moore (1936-2017).
Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

http://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Sun May 05, 2019 5:29 pm

Morgan

I am not a doctor and certainly not your doctor but I think you need to find someone with more experience in FtM transition therapeutical care.

From my personal experience and from what anecdotal experience I have come across - administration of T has nearly immediate effects.

35 years ago when I was in a different place, I started a program of T shots. After the second shot, I started to exhibit super aggression and I IMMEDIATELY stopped the shots.

From what I have read, and from the one FtM individual I have talked with, the effects of T are felt very quickly. Much more than when a MtF individual begins HT.

If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori on Sun May 05, 2019 9:23 pm

Actually, I'm inclined to support Miki now that she states it the way she did.

I know of a local that sure seemed to see fast results.

Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganWoolf on Sun May 05, 2019 10:09 pm

Thanks everyone!
I actually did see other changes very quickly. My voice dropped but since for the first year my T was low it dropped then leveled out, then my T was brought up and it dropped again and from what I can tell it's still dropping.
My body changed pretty quickly too. My tiny waist thickened and my breasts shrunk within a month. Emotionally I chilled out tremendously. It was like estrogen was irritating my brain and once I got T I went from internal screaming to chill. When I do get a T rush I'm more energetic than I am agressive (which my doctor explained that I would ether get more agressive or chill, it entirely depends on the individual so I consider myself very lucky). A little weight gain happened but I've always been underweight my whole life so I'm not in the "normal" range but I added about 10lbs. My muscled got a lot more defined too.
I haven't lost much hair on my head but the males on both sides of my family go into their orld age with a full head of hair. There is no baldness of any sort on either side of my family so that doesn't surprise me.
But no facial hair yet :/
It may just take a while, and I've only been on my proper T levels for 8 months now so I may just need to be patient.
At almost 30 years old I look like a high schooler so I'm just going to count that as a blessing and accept it as the adolesence I was denied. Who's gunna know any better other than my friends? And we're all quirky anyhow.

I just hope I grow some facial hair cuz so far it's 50/50 as to whether I get pegged as male or mistaken as female by strangers. Facial hair is one of those dead givaways that I'd appreciate having.
MorganWoolf
MorganWoolf

Back to top Go down

Post  mariehart1 on Mon May 06, 2019 12:55 am

Actually I do feel for you Morgan. The opposite of everything I want but really I know you need. The aggression is real and comes out of nowhere. But in the midst of it I know its not me. Too much T.

If I know men you are emotionally chilled like my brother who once told me that men just get on with it as he does of course with the implication I wasn't a man. He's right. Being a man you don't overstress you just do it.
I think you know exactly what I mean. You're a man. Revel in that moment.
I envy maleness. My eldest son is only twelve he's a man. A real man. I wouldn't want to be him but I love his certainty.

mariehart1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down