We need to rename this section to In The News

Go down

We need to rename this section to In The News Empty We need to rename this section to In The News

Post  Lesley Niyori on Tue May 14, 2019 12:45 am

Ok, I've been on enough forums to realize, fully, that the moment the place succeeds, if it permits a section specifically for Religion Science and Politics, it is as inevitable as death, that it will turn ugly.

Just a matter of time.

I've watched sites indulge it, and fail to remain civil.
I've seen sites ditch it as an option, and suddenly regain their focus and their worth as a whole.

Having a section claiming to be about religion and science and politics, is the same as playing with a loaded gun.

Not my forum, not my call. But that's the way I see it Celia.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

We need to rename this section to In The News Empty Re: We need to rename this section to In The News

Post  Celia Eriksson on Tue May 14, 2019 11:17 am

Well, I shall consider that as a request Lesley. I should like to wait first, to see if anyone else would like to post upon that idea.

If nobody posts a contrary view, I shall change it next week. Should there be any opposition to it, I will run a poll upon the subject, over a couple of weeks.

Celia xx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We need to rename this section to In The News Mtm
Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow.
Mary Tyler Moore (1936-2017).
Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

http://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

We need to rename this section to In The News Empty Re: We need to rename this section to In The News

Post  mariehart1 on Tue May 14, 2019 11:34 am

No problem with removing religion and politics although politics and news are hard to separate most of the time. Science is another matter. Not sure about that.

mariehart1

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori on Tue May 14, 2019 12:29 pm

Mostly concerned by a recent experience elsewhere.

Learned a valuable lesson. Atheists are NOT welcome in topics that are clearly religious.
It doesn't matter how 'civil' the comment is posted, as some opinions are simply too offensive.

Now, if the section hadn't been present, I guess I'd never have been tempted to think it was an option to have an opinion.

I've also seen, that small intimate forums that become large successful forums eventually lose that intimate friendly element.

They only regain their friendly nature when the political and religious element of a muck hole subforum is turfed.

I've seen one forum that was set up as a rebellion to the loss of a muck hole, and it turned out to be a comprehensive cesspool that only a miscreant would ever consider joining.

I don't have an issue with science of course. But science is usually only present as a rebuttal to religion. Lacking anything to rebut, science rarely gets mentioned much.

I'm not suggesting we hide from the news. I'm assuming our moderator team is perfectly capable of locking any news thread that goes nasty.

I'm just concerned that we don't provide a whole subforum with the perception that it's our version of the same ole muck hole. We don't need ANY spot to pit one against the other around here.

Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Tue May 14, 2019 11:23 pm

Ok, you are winning Lesley, I don't have an opinion one way or t'other. But if nobody voices opposition, I'll change it Tuesday night. Else I'll put a vote upon it if anybody challenges before then....

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Sat May 18, 2019 11:18 pm

Hi Everyone!

Bump!!! Bump!!!! Bounce!!!!  bounce  bounce  bounce  cheers  Bumping so there can be no excuse and if you missed it and are too late, where have ya been? Fair warning, two days left to voice any views upon the changing of the name of this subject.

I shall indeed call it, as requested, 'In The News', unless a better title is suggested and the subject will change from 'Politics, Philosophy, and Science  on Tuesday 21st, unless there is an objection. If there is a contrary view, a 14 day poll will take place!

We are democratic here!!!!!! study

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaibeth on Sun May 19, 2019 12:25 am

YOU might be democratic.

I am a totalitarian badger. Cross the line and see for yourself. I love you

That's not flying! That's falling with style!

"Eagles may soar, but badgers don't get sucked through jet engines."

I put the "boing" in Boeing.
Kaibeth
Kaibeth

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Sun May 19, 2019 12:40 pm

Kaibeth wrote:YOU might be democratic.

I am a totalitarian badger. Cross the line and see for yourself.  I love you

Pooh! My Mr. Jinks will deal with Badgers!!!

I am kinda hoping.....

We need to rename this section to In The News Mr-jinks

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  xfortran on Sun May 19, 2019 7:50 pm

I have no constructive argument for or against ...

xfortran

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynAH on Mon May 20, 2019 1:25 am

I have never seen much use to having those topics in transgender community spaces. I had to leave Facebook because the constant barrage was frankly depressing. And pushing back was like yelling into a storm. I would happily see them burned to the ground here.

I would almost prefer something for self care outside of transition related issues so discussions on dealing with mental health issues, trauma, exercise, eating well, etc. Might be easier to find.
CarolynAH
CarolynAH

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori on Mon May 20, 2019 1:29 pm

CarolynAH wrote:I have never seen much use to having those topics in transgender community spaces. I had to leave Facebook because the constant barrage was frankly depressing. And pushing back was like yelling into a storm. I would happily see them burned to the ground here.

I would almost prefer something for self care outside of transition related issues so discussions on dealing with mental health issues, trauma, exercise, eating well, etc. Might be easier to find.

Agree entirely.

Today, my Facebook is entirely bereft of politics and religion, the hard way, I simply unfollowed my entire friend list. Now, the only way to interact with me is with deliberate messaging, or through comments that I try to restrict to a Sunday morning update where I let people know how my week was.
I also select to ignore all contact with advertisers the moment I get an ad, so as to deny Facebook the ability to shill anything to me regardless of my own content.

As you mentioned Carolyn, there's really no way to react back that actually matters.

Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Tue May 21, 2019 12:32 am

Hi Everyone!

So no contrary view, so it's changed! I've taken Lesley's title as bobody gave another title and her idea is a good one anyway!

I've also thought about what Carolyn has suggested and wondered if we could talk about that. We could have a subheading under 'transition'.... I am a big fan of healthy eating, exercise and keeping a healthy mind, so I am in agreement. What do you think?

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynAH on Tue May 21, 2019 7:13 am

Wherever you think it makes the most sense. I am not picky.

I need to get over my fears of proper exercise in group settings. So I can get myself properly toned and my endurance up higher. I would love to get and hold myself below 165. And then let my weight cycle up I hope to I hope better areas while maintaining tone.especially from my core, to my thighs
CarolynAH
CarolynAH

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Tue May 21, 2019 7:32 am

Sadly, the first post in the new 'In The News' forum was that of the murder of a sister. Shit!

If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Tue May 21, 2019 12:23 pm

CarolynAH wrote:Wherever you think it makes the most sense. I am not picky.

I need to get over my fears of proper exercise in group settings. So I can get myself properly toned and my endurance up higher. I would love to get and hold myself below 165. And then let my weight cycle up I hope to I hope better areas while maintaining tone.especially from my core, to my thighs

Hi Carolyn!

I will put it in 'transition' as a subheading later, either today or tomorrow when I find some time. I find it is all about motivating yourself to do exercise regularly, I am as guilty as most people and skip it often. It does yield results though and that should be motivation itself. We can also talk about diet too, I cut all processed sugar out of my diet long ago, for example. Anyway, I'll leave my experience with that and lots of other things for the new sub-forum. I guess a heading like 'Health: Diet, Exercise and a Healthy Mind' is good?

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down