Women's World Cup!

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Women's World Cup! - Page 2 Empty Re: Women's World Cup!

Post  MichaelaSJ on Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:35 am

Celia Eriksson wrote:.... as for the US Open, I don't get that on my TV package, so I am missing it!!!!  Crying or Very sad
That is bad, especially for a country that created golf (well, Scotland did - but they are really close to you).

I am watching the finishing holes as I type. Gary Woodland (US) at -10 is in the lead going into 14 with Justin Rose (UK) going backward at -8. Brooks Koepka (US) is playing 15 at -10 but is way right and in the tall rough.

I played Pebble Beach in the late '70s and while I have only played on maybe 30 different courses - it is a magnificent course. the other course I played on the Monterey Peninsula is Spyglass Hill and it is a spectacularly difficult course, much more difficult than Pebble Beach.

Pebble Beach was designed by Alister MacKenzie. MacKenzie also designed the Pasatiempo golf course adjacent to Santa Cruz, CA. I have played this course 5 times and it is REALLY tough but fair. I hit my longest drive ever on this course at 327 yards on the 13th tee.

To give you an idea of how tough the Monterey Bay Courses are from the Blue Tees:

1. Pebble Beach $495-$535 6,828 yards Par 72 Slope 141 Rating 74.7 (PLAYED)
  2. Spyglass Hill Blue $210-$435 6,950 yards Par 72 Slope 144 Rating 75.5 (PLAYED)
  3. Poppy Hills Blue $50-$250 6,872 yards Par 71 Slope 140 Rating 73 (This course is owned by the Northern California Golf Association and is really inexpensive for members)
  4. Cypress Point $250 6,524 Par 72 Slope 140 Rating 72.1 (This course is very private and doesn't allow members of color)
  5. Spanish Bay  $155-$310 6,821 Par 72 Slope 140 Rating 74 (This is a newer course)
  6. Bayonet $45-$145 6641yards Par 72 Slope 135 Rating 72.8 (This course was built on the now defunct Fort Ord Army Base) (PLAYED)
  7. Black Horse $45-$145 6,533 yards Par 72 Slope 131 Rating 71.5 (This course was built on the now defunct Fort Ord Army Base)
  8. DeLaveaga $20-$45 6,110 yards Par 72 Slope 136 Rating 70 (A tough muni course in Santa Cruz, CA) (PLAYED)
  9. Pasatiempo $360-$292 6,500 yards Par 70 Slope 141 Rating 72.4 (PLAYED)

All of these courses are within an hour's drive of each other. The closest one to me is Pasatiempo at about 20 minutes.

So, it is now Woodland (-13) being the 2019 US Open winner, with a birdie on the 18th. Woodland will make a tidy $2.25 million.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:39 am

They are quite long! Also the green fees are very expensive at most of them!!! The exclusive one I've played here is St. George's Hills and that is private and I have no idea how much, it's not advertised.... it is 6420yds (white tee) and my guess is that it is over £60.

Silvermere is (white tee) 6406 yards (yellow tee 5943, red 5428) and £35, probably the best course for longer drivers around here, then Sandown Park Eclipse course at a longer for me (one tee) 5742yds..... just £16.50!!!!!! I have played them both, the Eclipse quite a lot more.

I like the Masters Par 3 course at Sandown, £18 for 9 holes x 2 = (one tee) 2122 yards. Nice and short!!! It's the Sandown courses where I have been playing most

Then Moore Place at (one tee) 4206 yards for 18 holes! Sounds easy.... but at just £17 Moore Place is actually quite tricky, but ok for me! There's others, but I best go... shopping!!!

No wonder we get lots of golf tourists!!!

Celia xx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Women's World Cup! - Page 2 Mtm
Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow.
Mary Tyler Moore (1936-2017).
Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

http://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:30 pm

EVERYTHING is expensive in The Bay Area. It is now impossible to find a one bedroom apartment/flat in a nice location for less than $1,800 except for inner-San Francisco where the tab rises to around $3,200.

If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:50 pm

So here is something I never knew, you have different and more coloured tees in the USA..... here it is:

Blue - Traditionally, furthest and for professionals.
White - Club and competition.
Yellow - Men playing recreational golf.
Red- Women's tees.

You have these:

Black or gold tee markers are usually used for championship play, for example professional or strong amateur tournaments. In some areas of the USA, Gold is Senior tees.

Blue tee: Club and competition.

White tee - Men's tees.

Red tee - Generally women's tees.

Green tee: Beginners/Seniors, sometimes longer than the red tees.

Senior tees can be gold or yellow in many cases, but not where Gold pro-tees exist, i.e. the top courses.

Did not realise it was not standardised.... Celia xx (The teams now at 19:55, are coming out and I'm very excited again!!!!)

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:03 pm

Most 'manly' golfers eschew the White tees for the Blue/Black/Gold tees because if Tiger can hit a 300+ yard drive - so can I.

I showed the Blue tee distance because... well, just because. When I play, I play from the White tees.

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:52 pm

Oh, so just 2-1 and quite disappointing, but Norway are through and that's all that matters. The Koreans played their little hearts out, so well done to the Koreans...

I think it was quite nasty of the neutrals, the French locals of Reims, to boo everything that Norway did, not very nice at all in actual fact. But there you go.

It looks like Brazil or Australia in the round of 16, I think Italy will win group C, but Norway can beat any of them... we shall see!!! So England v. Japan on Wednesday is the next game I'll watch! It will be the biggest clash of favoured teams in the cup so far!!!

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:54 am

Just think, the match could have been played in Provence - They boo everything not Provence.

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:14 pm

And so in Nice tonight England beat the finalists of 2015 and winners of the 2011 World Cups, Japan, 2-0. So well done England. It was a very exciting evening, especially in the fight for third place between Argentina and Scotland!

What a game they had, Scotland winning 3-0 at one stage and the Argentinians getting it back to 3-2.... then a penalty for Argentina.... but it is saved by the Goalkeeper Alexander!.... but the dreaded VAR, (that wrongly robbed Norway of a draw against France else Norway could have topped the group...), said that Lee Aleander came of her line! So, It was retaken and Argentina in the dying moments Argentina scored the penalty and made it 3-3! The irony is now that both Scotland and Argentina are eliminated now!

It's complicated who England meet, it will be New Zealand, Chile or Cameroon.... they are far better than all, but most likely New Zealand and on Sunday afternoon.... Pooh!!!! I'm working!!!!

Well, anyway, more importantly I am off Saturday night, when Norway meet Australia in the knock out round of 16, just as well! I would have thrown a sicky!

USA play Sweden tomorrow night..... their first slightly tough test, for Sweden are middle of the road, but still, they will be the best the Yanks have will have played so far!!!

Oh edit, Golf!!! Just reading back....  Miki, I play red tees if available, as I alluded to though, most places I play are short and have one tee only. You should take advantage, especially if you get to play your Brother, prove him right!!!!!!!!! I've lost muscle, (little I ever had anyway) many years ago, so why, even if playing with someone that knows me, why would I give that up, as many cis women do, for the fairway quite often is just reachable for me and I'm sure many women in courses that have them.... I am also a Senior woman, (over 55), so I should be placed even closer, maybe another coloured tee!!!!

I doubt, no I don't doubt,.. I know, I could never physically ever have power to get to the stage of hitting over 250, let alone 300+. Anyway, I like an accurate tee off and I think I've said before that it's like... 140 max, really good accuracy. That's great as long as there is actually some fairway there to hit! I don't do GIR on long courses!!!

No fairways in my range on 4's and 5's? That is then me trying to overhit with the driver or no.3 off the tees, and then it's everyone find her ball again time. Though I have been lucky once or twice. My best woods start at 5 being just about ok, just about. It's more like 7 up to my 11.... yes, I have 9 and 11 woods!!! And they are so, so, so accurate, even off the short light rough off the fairway!!!!

Boasty woasty time... Get around 100 yds to the green, then it's better watch out, coz I'm hot at that range. And closer, my chips, spinning the ball if I want and even outta sand and putting is strong too!!!!!

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:46 am

When I was swinging with distance and I was #200+ (I topped out at #212) so I had some strength, but more than strength I had good form and VERY strong hands. My driver was 9.5 degree so I really drove the ball. I was taking lessons (briefly) with a Tour Pro who marveled at my hand strength.

My short game is what kept my scores around the 100 mark.

Now, at #165 with a bad heart and lungs getting out to play at least one more round of golf is on my bucket list.

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:29 pm

Oh Miki, how I wish we could play together! Well tonight the USA were involved in a controversial game with Sweden, but USA deserved to win. They won 2-0 and were superbical! 'Sweet Brother' made a game of it though and they were unfortunate that the second goal involved an offside that the dreaded VAR failed to rectify.

The Swedes will give Canada a good game in the knockouts and I would usually say that they would win, but watching Canada against Holland today, although they lost, the Canadians will be no pushover....

Chile could not win 3-0, missing a penalty at 2-0, so Cameroon will play England on Saturday night in the knockout round of 16. USA face Spain. USA and England will win both games easily.

I think it interesting that many Brits view Americans as dumb, I don't know why, but I hear it often, and we view the poor Swedes, (nothing to do with losing tonight, just poor Swedes..., hahaha), as dumb. Well, dumb, gullible, soft, partying, oft drunk.... ahem, as I say, I don't know why but it's quite usual amongst cousins, there was a time when Brits did it to the Irish, again I don't quite know why.

There is, for example, an old one I remember about when two Swedes that have never met, accidentally enter the same phone booth. Three things happen. Firstly they will have a party. Then they will have sex, whoever they may be. Then they will phone the fire service as they don't remember the way out....

Ok, enough of the stereotyping, my surname has more Swedes than Norwegians owning it, but I could not resist it and ya can't blame me, after watching Swedes in the penalty area and other places, being unfairly tackled by Americans and failing to fall over, doing their utmost to stay on their feet, thus not winning a foul, penalty etc.!!!!!

Anyway, USA are looking unbeatable atm, the only thing that could beat them is over confidence, that will have them play a bad game and the opponent team, from the top six or seven would have to be having a wonder day.

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:20 pm

Oh, if we had video assisted referee/review (VAR) when Diego Maradona's "Hand of God" was given a goal.

In the U.S, the major sports Football, Basketball and Baseball (I never watch hockey) all have VAR to some extent.

These techniques slow the game down. The obvious errors of referees/umpires can often be reviewed and in almost all cases the correct call is either upheld or the bad call overturned. I say in most cases because there are errors not caught and good calls overturned much the chagrin of the players and the fans.

But it is what it is and we will accept VAR in the end.

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  mariehart1 on Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:36 pm

Ha ha Celia I was always under the impression that the Swedes thought the Norwegians were dumb. But I'm not au fait with the history. Wasn't Norway a Swedish colony?

A bit like the English Irish thing. Lots of Irish jokes probably borne of the fact that many Irish arrived in England clearly clueless borne of the fact that Ireland was kept as an impoverished colony.  That sounds propaganda but that's the reality.
But Irish jokes are ancient history and if you look at it Irish people are way over represented not least in the media in Britain Also because of British tolerance, indeed my own experience is that being Irish you're not seen as a foreigner. I've had the classic London cabbie experience ranting at foreigners. I'm thinking, surely I'm a foreigner. But of course we here in. Ireland don't really see Brits as foreign because they're not. It's the same as us in Britain. I never felt I was foreign in England.
So the English chap who looks after my garden can laugh at our absurdities and I can share it while pointing out the crazy things the Brits do. With Brexit it's easy these days

All it does is point out our absurdities. People are people.

mariehart1

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:19 am

Yes Miki VAR is here to stay and you have demonstrated as to why I may well ask.... why?!!! If mistakes are made even when it's shown on the screen, then it may as well be left to the umpire/referee in realtime. But anyway, it does add a moment of tension in the game, I guess.

The Premier league has already said it will not be VAR on goalkeepers moving forward of the goal line on penalties, as has happened at the WWC. Hope Solo, the former USA goalie said last night there is no advantage gained by moving forward anyway. She should know, she was world no.1.

Norway was annexed to Sweden for a long time after a war in 1814 Marie, and like the English/Irish thing, stupid jokes are made both ways. The English, as a nation, usually have homophobic humour made about them from many parts of the world too. I am pleased that it has vanished anyway.

I guess I'd never thought f it, but Irish are not viewed as foreign at all by anyone here. If only it was the same for other English people living here, some have for a very long time, yet still are viewed as foreign by bigots because of the colour of their skin. But things change and hopefully one day people can live in complete harmony.

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:16 pm

So Norway are in the quarter-finals! Quite a breathless night and my heart has ceased pounding.... I hate extra-time and hate penalties even more, but I believe Norway deserved to win the game. There was a spell at 1-0 up that they sat back and allowed Australia freedom to attack and that was badand allowed Australia a needless goal. But after hitting the goalposts three times and having countless shots and also not having any of the luck, they were calm and competent with their penalties and so won in the end. They will meet England in the quarter-final, unless Cameroon pull an upset. I will be more calm if England get through and play Norway, because it will not matter much to me who wins in that quarter final if it happens. It is a shame that they shall meet.... I have loyalties to both teams.

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:58 pm

And so England will be playing Norway the last 8 and that should be fun to watch on Thursday! In about one hour the USA kick off against Spain, the USA should win easily and qualify for the last 8 too, where France most likely awaits. Then in the semi-final England or Norway will meet USA or France. Why are all the best teams on our side of the draw!!!!! IT makes my original prediction redundant, coz on the other side the only good teams are Germany and Japan really, only those could beat any of the four above!!!

So Cameroon were very unsporting yesterday, I only grabbed snatches of the game as I was working, but apparently they did not agree with decisions, even after they were checked on tv! Then almost walked off the pitch and accused FIFA of racism. They played on but pushed the poor Chinese referee in the back, spat, kicked and chopped the English women down!!!! Terrible.... well done England for keeping cool. I hope Steph Houghton is ok after a particularly vicious tackle!

Anyway, good luck USA, it should be a good game!!

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:01 pm

Oh, so USA just make it through with 2 penalties.... 2-1 against Spain. Spain were very unlucky and played very well, there is a chink in the armour of the USA at last!!!! Canada are out in a close game with Sweden, so the gullible ones will play Germany, who will be favourite to win!! Both games had exciting moments, this WWC is great!!!

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tara on Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:41 pm

Celia Eriksson wrote:Both games had exciting moments, this WWC is great!!!

Isn't it?!

~*~ Tara

"Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see." — Edgar A. Poe
Tara
Tara

Back to top Go down

Post  mariehart1 on Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:37 am

So it's all happening tonight Celia. Divided loyalties. England v Norway and of course your bet. You could of course hedge your bet by backing England tonight. But where's the fun in that?

Either way good luck to both teams.

mariehart1

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:07 pm

Hi Marie!

Well it all has happened and well done England, but I think 3-0 is a little flattering, even though I admit they were the better team. I found myself crying towards the end, which is not unlike me but not very often when watching sport, but they gave all and got little.. in the end Norway lost because they had many chances but simply lost it at the final kick of the ball on goal scoring chances. But, the Lionesses deserved to win and I will support them, they play France or USA. I so wanted Norway/USA Semifinal!!!

Oh, as to the bet, that does not matter, it was my first bet for years and I am no gambler!

So, one thing that Hope Solo thinks that I disagree with! She believes France are the strongest team.... I think if the USA play like they performed against Spain, then yes, she is right, they are lost! But it was almost like wake-up call for them.... if, they even play an average game, they  beat France tomorrow night. I can't watch it coz I'm on shift, but I will try and snatch a bit of it!!!

I am sure it will be USA v. England and if I am right, I would not like to call the winner.

But were France to win, I think that's better result for England than facing the USA.

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:07 pm

So the USA will play England and the time has been set aside so I can watch it, no interuptions all phones will be switched off!!!! Well deserved win for the USA, it was a fantastic display and I believe they beat France easily, only the home crowd and some influence upon the referee helped France, though France could have had that penalty I guess, the one decision that went their way....

Holland are through to their first semi final to play Germany or the Swedes and I never thought I'd say this but I will want Sweden to win, coz the Germans are very strong. If England lose, I'd like the USA to win it, they are such a good side.

It's getting even more exciting and the France v. USA game drew the biggest audiences ever to a women's game which is great, of course the men's game is still far away the better standard and will always be better followed, but I love any big competitions!!!.

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mariehart1 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:23 pm

I have to say Celia, you've dragged me in to caring even though I'm not much of a soccer fan. I see the Swedes beat the Germans. Interesting.
I'm up for England though. When I was a kid in Ireland, England was the team to follow. I didn't even know we had a team l. Bizarre really. So I've always had a fondness for England. Football wise anyway.

But my thing is Formula 1. Despite what you might think apparently 40% of F1 fans are women. I introduced a sister to F1, since then she has literally been all over the world at Grand Prix along with my brother and his wife who I also introduced to F1.

Me? I've never been to a F1 race.

Mad really.

mariehart1

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:27 am

Hi Marie!!!! I'm not mad about cars, I love my old Helga and that's it. But I can watch and enjoy a F1 race, it's so gltzy in the paddock with lots of stars hanging around too! I often wait for the highlights as the race is way too long, (not just F1, I usually only tune in to football for the second half if I'm in, preferring highlights shows for premier league games and that)….

But the races recently have been soooooo snorey borey, the Mercedes Benz showroom parade is not much fun at all! It is a shame, for there are some talented drivers such as Verstappen and Le Clerc, but they got no chance against the wealthy German engines... only watched a couple this year.

Can't wait until Tuesday night though, I will be watching all of that game!!!!!

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:04 pm

Well done USA! I think England gave them quite a game and I think the World Cup will be USA's now they are in the final and face either Holland or Sweden, I truly do not see either side beating the USA if this England team could not..

But, England were only beaten by a missed penalty and a disallowed goal they scored that was inches of offside from beating the Americans. I am sure England will improve as will the very young Norway side that England beat 3-0 the other day....

Well done USA for reaching the final!!!! Tomorrow's game, Holland v. Sweden? Well, I think Holland will have the better chance against the USA in Sunday's final, even though it will be very unlikely that they can actually beat the USA. I think Holland will win the semi-final, sweet brother is quite lucky to have got so far.

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tara on Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:12 pm

Well done England, as well! A very exciting game.

But one thing I've never understood, and maybe you can explain to me, Celia: why is it that England, Scotland, Wales (and Northern Ireland?) compete separately, instead of as UK?

~*~ Tara

"Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see." — Edgar A. Poe
Tara
Tara

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:45 pm

Hi Tara!

It is a bit of an old thingy, initially it was because they all have separate governing football associations and were originally granted access to FIFA competitions by playing each other in the Home Nations competition, meaning only one progressed to the World Cup etc. The Home Nations outlived that, coz at some point they were allowed to compete separately in the European Group qualifying and since then the Home Nation competition has slowly died and now is obsolete.

Sometimes 'the special arrangement' has been challenged, certain European nations objecting, but not recently. Possibly because it has been raised elsewhere that the EU could also be considered one state, not unlike the USA in composition of federal states with common currency etc. That has kept the subject of the four UK nations, (yes N.Ireland too), competing separately well off the table and the status quo is for now, assured, especially as FIFA is very Gallic in composition.

Anyway, well done Holland, even though I thought the Swedes were better. For that matter, I think France, England and Norway were better than both of tonight's teams and shows how lop-sided the draw was. Norway played France in the group stage, they should not have been on the same side of the draw and possibly met in the semis, it's very strange... anyway, I expect an easy victory for the USA on Sunday.

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next