The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Watched a movie last night

Go down

Watched a movie last night Empty Watched a movie last night

Post  MichaelaSJ on Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:24 pm

I am not Christian, not a believer really, but I was intrigued by the movie 'The Two Popes', where a German (read neo-Nazi) Cardinal Ratzinger is promoted to Pope and several years later, as Benedict XVII resigns his position. A Pope resigning only occurred once before in 1274 BCE.

An Argentinean Cardinal, Jorge Bergoglio (a social radical) came in second in the voting when Ratzinger was elected Pope.

The movie is two parts, a history of Bergoglio's rise and fall and rise again in Peron's Argentina and also a VERY intelligent dialogue between Ratzinger's Pope Benedict XVII and Bergoglio as Ratzinger sets Bergoglio up to be his replacement. Bergoglio is elected Pope Francis and serves today. We may not like all of Francis' edicts, but he is not the conservative that Benedict was, and that is good.

On the surface you would think this might be a boring docudrama, but it isn't - and you should watch it on Netflix. There are some very rough scenes, especially actual footage of people being disappear violently in Peron's Argentina, but generally it is a well produced and directed movie.

I think it is deserving of an Oscar, it is that good.

There is a good review of the movie and the recent history of the two popes at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/what-oscar-hopeful-the-two-popes-misses-about-francis-and-benedicts-relationship/2019/12/26/0a65dc6e-25a7-11ea-9cc9-e19cfbc87e51_story.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Watched a movie last night Empty Re: Watched a movie last night

Post  Ellebell87 on Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:35 pm

They sure dont make em like Jhon Pual anymore, of course being Jewish myself It would be hard for me to relate to.

Ellebell87

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:47 pm

Hi Miki and Elle!

Well John Paul II was the most popular of all in modern times. Miki, I tried watching The Two Popes and gave it half an hour..... but I just don't like it!!!! Sorry!!!.... went straight back to my Columbian Undercover Law thingy on the 'flix'... I might try watching it one day coz I like Anthony Hopkins and he insists on not making bad films, it's just that it seemed so boring from the start!!!!

Celia xx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Watched a movie last night Mtm  Watched a movie last night Ancestralnewhomeandrespectednations-2Watched a movie last night Kickitout                                                          
Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow.
Mary Tyler Moore (1936-2017).
Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

http://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:43 am

Celia Eriksson wrote:... it's just that it seemed so boring from the start!!!!

I like long intelligent dialogues in films.

If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:27 pm

Watched a movie last night Sad

Smile xx

Watched a movie last night Mtm  Watched a movie last night Ancestralnewhomeandrespectednations-2Watched a movie last night Kickitout                                                          
Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mariehart1 on Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:38 pm

I haven't heard much about the film. But despite being an Irish Catholic who is atheist. Yes in Ireland you can be both.  Surprised  A film like would have little interest for me. But I'd give it a go.

But I wonder at this comment  ' where a German (read neo-Nazi) '.

He was surely conscripted as a teenager and came from a notably anti Nazi family. Plus I'm pretty sure Jewish organisations indeed welcomed his appointment. Is there something I've missed?

mariehart1

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:30 pm

I was raised ostensibly as a Catholic (through confirmation) but I would also check the box as Atheist. I say atheist in the sense that I have no need for a god, whether one exists or not.

As for Ratzinger being a Nazi, early in the movie, there are a few 'man on the street' comments about the 'Nazi Pope'.
The question of Joseph Ratzinger’s involvement with Nazi Germany and the Hitler Youth is important in consideration of the life of the man who became Pope Benedict XVI. While it led some to question his character, he nevertheless passed an investigation by the Wiesenthal Center, clearing him of any accusation of antisemitism.
https://www.learnreligions.com/was-pope-benedict-xvi-joseph-ratzinger-nazi-248621

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori on Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:37 am

I like a well made film as a means of entertainment. Regardless of the topic.

But my beliefs are such, that the whole concept of the Pope offends me in the extreme.

I don't so much hate Catholics, but, I sure hate the Catholic church. A good day is seeing a Pope die. Natural causes or not, I'm not picky.

Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:18 pm

Be nice everyone!

Discuss, but no attacks on members is allowed! Leslie is entitled to that opinion and I disagree, but there ya go. It's simply because I wish no ill upon any human that has not directly committed a heinous crime, proven beyond doubt. The Pope is within the law, whatever I may think of the abortion debate. As it stands, I strongly support abortion, at early stages only, but wish no harm upon those opposed to my view.

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down