The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Miki's Astrophotos

Go down

Miki's Astrophotos Empty Miki's Astrophotos

Post  MichaelaSJ on Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:50 pm

As I mentioned last month, my current avocation is astrophotography. I was really into this sport in the late oughts and due to learning and re-learning how to use some very sophisticated image processing programs it has taken me much longer to post something here.

I am posting two images that are very, very early in the process of getting an image I would be happy to show - so, I am only posting these to let you know that I have re-started my hobby and that I hope to post more detailed images with a lot more processing.

With that said, the first image is a 10 second image in black and white of a globular cluster commonly referred to as the Great Globular Cluster in Hercules or Messier 15:

Miki's Astrophotos PEVfn0t943Gj_1824x0_kWXURFLk

The second image, also a ten second exposure, is referred to as the Dumbbell Nebula or M27:

Miki's Astrophotos GtecRJIO4uQN_1824x0_kWXURFLk

If I had a lot more exposure time on the M27, it would have shown a lot of color in the nebula. Reminder, these are very raw and simple images and very early on the learning curve.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Miki's Astrophotos Empty Re: Miki's Astrophotos

Post  mariehart1 on Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:20 pm

I love astronomy so  obviously I appreciate your pictures. One of of my favourite TV programmes is the  Sky at Night on the  BBC.

Great pictures. I'm  so  envious

mariehart1

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:26 pm

Thank you Marie.

I am trying to sort out some gremlins in my most recent kit. Biggest problem I have right now is the telescope mount (a mid-grade mount) doesn't want to track for more than 10 - 15 seconds without the stars leaving trails.

Back when I was making really good money, I had around $35,000 invested in my astrophotography kit and I took some images that would rival those seen in the best astronomy magazines. But, alas I had to choose between two expensive hobbies: woodworking and astrophotography and woodworking one out.

Now, with my health issues I can no longer work in woodworking so I am attempting to get back into what had been my second choice.

Stay tuned!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:32 pm

Hi Miki!
You took those Miki? I knew you were waiting for a telescope thingy to arrive. They are amazing! I think you should post with the highest resolution, try 'postimage.io'. They give bigger options upon message boards and you do not have to sign in....

What kinda projects do you envisage doing now you have a very powerful scope? The possibilities are endless. i know a lot has been covered, gosh, it's been three hundred years and more of observation, but there are holes everywhere and there are always amateurs picking up new stuff.

I know you love this stuff. Just as you know too, I am interested as well. I believe anyone with any smidgeon of intelligence, surely has to have a certain wonder about it all.

Celia xx

Miki's Astrophotos Mtm  Miki's Astrophotos Ancestralnewhomeandrespectednations-2Miki's Astrophotos Blm                                                             
Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow.
Mary Tyler Moore (1936-2017).
Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

http://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:33 pm

I like galaxies and far away stuff in our own Milky Way. Planets - meh.

My pursuit is mainly the hunt to image something. When I had my previous telescope I read somewhere that a California amateur astrophotographer had found a previously unknown nebula now dubbed the "Soap Bubble". Thousands of professional and amateur astronomers had looked in the area where the Soap Bubble was located but never imaged it. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soap_Bubble_Nebula

Well, thirty days after its discovery, I located the coordinates of the object and I imaged it from my very light polluted backyard with a telescope a bit smaller than the one the original imager used.

There is an annual gathering of amateur astrophotographers and in 2008, I had a chance meeting with the original imager. I showed him my image and he was quite impressed.

I love the hunt and maybe someday I will find a supernova in a nearby galaxy and my name will be famous, at least for the day.

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:41 pm

Hi Miki!!!!!!!

But if you found one, it would be recorded and your name will live forever..... or if you found a new galaxy or something.

How powerful is your scope? I mean x50 etc. I don't know much about them, but it has got to be quite exciting a thing to do.

I wish you very happy hunting, I truly hope you will post more pictures if you find something just as cooll as your OP pics. Oh and I think the Soap Bubble is a very nice a name for that nebula!!!! I like bubbles!!!!

Celia xx

Miki's Astrophotos Mtm  Miki's Astrophotos Ancestralnewhomeandrespectednations-2Miki's Astrophotos Blm                                                             
Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ on Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:11 pm

This is what my current kit looks like. It is an 11" Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope on a computerized mount. What is not shown in the image is the guide and imaging cameras I have attached.

Some telescope manufacturers advertise the 'power' or magnification. This is usually meaningless as the maximum magnification a telescope can effectively handle is around 70 times the diameter of the telescope. In my case that would be 70 x 11" or 770. This is so ridiculous as the view would be totally distorted. Since my location is heavily light polluted, I don't use the telescope for visual use, but with special filters I can reduce the light pollution and take images of the various objects.

Miki's Astrophotos Cel-1210

This is what my previous kit looked like (at 7 times the cost of my current kit!):

Miki's Astrophotos Apm-tm10

This is an image of an object called the Horsehead Nebula that I took with my previous telescope:

Miki's Astrophotos Horseh10

When I was working as a senior executive in the real estate development game, I would buy the best I could afford. I really wish I didn't have to sell the kit in the bottom image as that would have satisfied my needs for the remainder of my life. But, alas, shit happens...doesn't it.

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson on Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:42 pm

hi Miki!!!

Oh, that is a great pic of the horsehead, is not that a very old part of the universe?.... amazing Miki.

Once in the past, I remember a certain pillow talk about the universe and what it's all about. I have had my own thoughts about it and probably offered that then. That we don't know for a reason, for if we did we may well all jump off a cliff tomorrow.... for it cannot be for nothing.

The Universe cannot be that cruel that we live, die and that is that. Oh, and the for reproduction answer.... for why?

For one day the Universe will either implode or expand forever. Nothing will be able to live in a cold ever expanding, dark nothingness.

Or, on the other boot, a contracted pinhead sized universe that weighs a billion tons squared a billion billion billion times. So

The reproduction argument means nothing! Why reproduce to no end! The universe is balanced, That is no balance.... no rhyme nor reason.

It's a test! Good v. Evil.

Just a shame you sold your old kit.... I'll bet at a snip of it's price. Nice people lose good stuff easily.

I'll bet ya sold that cheaper than it woz worth. We do, coz we are nice people.

I've sold good stuff, old and reliable autos, motorcycles and that, coz I've been softsoaped. Well, I'm older now and things will get tight, coz I am gonna think about retiring very soon!

It's very close to time. Time to hang up my workplace mary-janes. I'll get my rhino when this covid is done, then take a year's sabbatical travelling to where I have already broken promises to go to, God willing.

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum