The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Private Prisons

Go down

Private Prisons Empty Private Prisons

Post  MichaelaSJ Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:34 pm

I know I am a very political person, but sometimes somethings need to be shouted from the rooftops.

Today, our new POTUS Biden signed an Executive Order not renewing any contracts for private prisons. THIS IS GOOD, VERY GOOD. Every state, including my California, should do the same.

The only way private prisons make money is by having a fully populated prisoner population. This means that governments are necessarily complicit in sentencing convicted individuals to a private prison. Many states, my California included, entered into contracts with private prison operators that required the states to maintain a high level of prisoners to keep the private prisons profitable.

What this means, and especially for people of color, is that sentencing recommendations necessarily mean sending an individual to a private prison when the same level of justice could have been meted out through probation or some other type on non-incarceration.

Many states, primarily in the southern U.S., are sending minor offenders off to very lengthy sentences for possession of small amounts of drugs, or for minor theft offenses simply to meet occupation requirements at their private prisons.

At least now, federally, offenders of minor offenders will have a chance of not being incarcerated because there will be a need to justify the cost of jailing an offender versus the cost of probation.

There are people who NEED to be jailed. But being black or Hispanic or Asian or a lower income White person should not be the reason to be sent off to a prison run simply for profit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum