The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Cocktail of Hormones

Go down

A Cocktail of Hormones Empty A Cocktail of Hormones

Post  MyNicky Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:38 pm

I'm now on HRT 7.5 months and my doctor has now introduced a third prescription into my regime.
On top of the antiandrogen and estradiol pills I now have patches to wear full time too. Which I am self conscious about despite being completely out of sight.
This I have to say about wearing patches:
You'll never realise just how much your skin folds and stretches until you do. You try to find a spot away from skin creases and folds but it'll make no difference. My skin pulls and bunches around the patch whenever I move making the whole area around it super itchy. Incidentally though the patch itself isn't causing irritation. I think it's just a new sensation that I'll eventually get used to.
My hormone levels haven't been behaving themselves which is frustrating. My T levels have dropped right off, but so has the E.
MyNicky
MyNicky

Back to top Go down

A Cocktail of Hormones Empty Re: A Cocktail of Hormones

Post  Kidagakash Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:55 am

Im on a twice weekly patch. I had the same issue last time because its rectangular and i put it on lengthwise. There are two creases now. When I took off the last one the entire area was reddened around the pores. Doesnt seem good. I think the patches are just for starting out though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
=^_^=
Kidagakash
Kidagakash

MyNicky likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  MyNicky Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:46 am

My patches were introduced to complement the pills, as my hormone levels, both T and E are below acceptable levels. Waiting for the results from the latest bloods. I could live without the patches as I find them to be a real nuisance
MyNicky
MyNicky

Kidagakash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  MyNicky Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:14 am

Well I can update that my E levels are officially in range! Woot x2
MyNicky
MyNicky

Kidagakash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kidagakash Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:19 pm

Fantastic! still 2 months until I find out where I'm at.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
=^_^=
Kidagakash
Kidagakash

Back to top Go down

Post  Maple Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:57 am

YMMV, your milage may vary.

This was what I was told in regards to what I can expect with my results.
I've found this to also be true with delivery systems.
When I first started, I was on the patches and responded very well. I had very minor issues with those first patches. Especially once I figured out how to work with them after the fist couple months.
Then I moved from Mississippi to New York. Same health care system, just a different region.
When I started with my new Endocrinologist, he kept me on the patches. But, they were NOT the same patches I was used to using. I was now on the "invisible" patches.
I really hated them. No matter how much I tried, I just couldn't figure out how to work with them. So, I changed to the pills. The pills didn't work because we couldn't get the right dosage for the proper E levels.
So, then I switched to self injection. I figured I would tackle a side issue I have and not have to keep up with something on a daily or weekly basis. I loved the results and how well those worked.
But...
Just one thing. I just couldn't get past my issues with syringes no matter how hard I tried.
Now I'm back on the patches I hate the most and have them finally figured out. Yes, they still shift on my skin from time to time in varying degrees.
Through all this I have one thing I can tell you that will help.
Running alcohol and baby oil are your best friends.
The rubbing alcohol you should apply to the area where you intend to apply the patch to clean off all the dirt and oils so it will adhere much better. If your skin is still a little damp with the alcohol when you apply the patch, don't worry, it will work much like a wet decal on a plastic model. It will dry and still adhere very well.
Once you have that, the baby oil will be used for cleaning off the sticky residue from the patches when you remove them. Don't be afraid to be a bit liberal with how much baby oil you use, sometimes you need more than you think.
Also, a steady supply of cotton balls won't hurt either.

I hope my experience helps.
Maple
Maple

MyNicky likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  MyNicky Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:38 pm

Always happy to hear shared experiences
MyNicky
MyNicky

Maple likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kidagakash Tue May 04, 2021 1:45 am

I switched to injections several weeks ago. The first time took me 2hours. one to satisfy my ocd I was doing it correctly, and another hour to work up the courage to do the injection. All in all it was a lot less painful than I had anticipated. I still dont like the idea of stabbing myself with a needle, but if I disconnect that ingrained childhood fear it's not too bad. Patches were effective, but no matter how clean my skin was I had bad skin reactions. there is a rectangular scar on my abdomen from one of them, which was over a month ago now.

=^_^=
Kidagakash
Kidagakash

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Tue May 04, 2021 7:41 pm

I started out on the injection of estradiol and had to stop due to my CAD (heart). Later that year, I tried the patches and wore up to 4 at a time (per prescription). I put them on my hip/butt and didn't have much of an issue - but, I am not you and your skin is not my skin. Having to rotate the patches was more of a pain than injecting but...

Unfortunately, because of my CAD, I have had to stop all estrogen. I still have little breast as a reminder of what could have been.

If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

MyNicky and Kidagakash like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum