The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I like old trains

4 posters

Go down

I like old trains Empty I like old trains

Post  MichaelaSJ Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:08 am

I like the older steam locomotives. They were noisy, dirty but they could pull a city behind them. When I was six (1951) my mother took me on a train from San Francisco to Los Angeles. One of these behemoths towed the train:
I like old trains Img_up_media-4014-150-cele_m

Union Pacific owns the last of the operating Big Boys and will be doing a tour of the middle of the U.S. with Big Boy No. 4014. If you are interested, take a look at:
https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/index.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

I like old trains Empty Re: I like old trains

Post  Lesley Niyori Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:08 pm

I love trains as well.

I've been told it is a common trend in transgender women to like trains.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  luckykunai Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:34 pm

a trains geek... lol.. niceeee...

luckykunai

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:47 am

Well, yes I quite like old trains..... but I LOVE Trams.... especially old wooden ones!!!! They are sooooo cute!!!!!

I like old trains Tramywoody

I like old trains Mtm  I like old trains Ancestralnewhomeandrespectednations-2I like old trains Kickitout                                                          
Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow.
Mary Tyler Moore (1936-2017).
Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

http://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:19 pm

I get Cable Cars instead of trams:

I like old trains Cable10

The island in the background is Alcatraz. When I was born, this was the toughest prison in the U.S. and I remember the prisoners waving at the party fishing boat I was on with my mother (age 6). I landed a #28 Striped Bass that trip - first fish I ever caught!

BTW, I have never visited Alcatraz, or any of the bunch of the other tourist traps in The Bay Area.

"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:28 pm

I have seen those on tv many times, do they have overhead lines then? Or is their a live rail? Here it is either train, tram or trolley bus, but there have been no trolley buses for quite some time! Cable Cars take one up a mountain over here!!!!Wow, Alca traz, where Robert Stroud wrote his physiology books on Birdies and Clint Eastwood made a daring escape.

I like old trains Cable-car-LII like old trains Tram-LI

I like old trains Mtm  I like old trains Ancestralnewhomeandrespectednations-2I like old trains Kickitout                                                          
Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:40 pm

Celia Eriksson wrote:...do they have overhead lines then? Or is their a live rail?
Neither. There are two surviving cable car lines and on each line has a continuous cable run underground and the cable is driven by a separate drive motor. The cable itself is driven at a constant speed. These cables are driven in a central facility called the Cable Car Powerhouse. The Powell/Mason line has 28 cars available to be put on the cable.

In the image below is the cable drive for (L) the California St. line and on the (R) for the Powell/Mason St. line:

I like old trains Cable210

The cable cars themselves ride on rail tracks with a split housing 'Slot' (as in the Cable Car image above) that allows the car to be attached to the cable.

A good read of the history and workings of this relic of the past that should never be forgotten or destroyed is at: http://cablecarmuseum.org/mechanical.html

The car operator, called a gripman, controls the speed of the car by applying pressure to the cable. To brake, the operator loosens the grip on the cable and uses the brakes on the wheels, or by applying pressure to the tracks to stop the car. In the case of an emergency, the operator can loose a 'dagger' into the cable trough jamming the car and coming to a complete and mostly immediate stop. Unfortunately, doing an emergency stop can scatter passengers on the roadway. (Think Isaac Newton and his damn inertia!!!!).

Fahrenheit 451
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:10 am

Hi Michaela!!!!

Thank you for the explanation!!! I think that is amazing! It is something I never knew.... a cable under the street, how it goes round in a loop. I will have to look up.

So it truly is a cable car.... please forgive my pics1!!!! I had thought that it was you Americans trying to be different with English, I like to think it's kind of WOI and 1812 hangover....

...Rather like your use of 'hood' and 'trunk' on a car for example! For a hood I would wear over my head and a trunk is to be found on the front of an Elephant!!!!

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum