The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Talking about hormone therapy

3 posters

Go down

Talking about hormone therapy Empty Talking about hormone therapy

Post  marci Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:36 am

Hey y'all,

So I have an endo appointment at OSHU in Portland (closest I can get from Salem OR for this sort of thing) coming up in October.  I had originally gotten one 2 months out in August just before my birthday but that was on a predicted 107 degree day and there was no way I was gonna drive there and back in that heat on I5, AC or no AC. Mad

So I rescheduled, and again it was 2 months out, but I'm not in a hurry and anyway with COVID running rampant a lot of what I will want to do is not accessible with any safety...

I have one testicle left (thank you youthful seminoma that fucked with my original transition plans and a great deal of my life), but frankly losing it was such a relief due to lifelong dysphoria, it only confirmed my intentions.  And it may have reduced the impact of T the rest of my life. Rolling Eyes

So anyway, I'm going in person rather than televisit because I have a raft of questions for this experienced endocrinologist who's part of the OHSU Transgender Care program.  My MD who referred me there supports my transition but said he won't prescribe hormones, and I can understand that.

In the meantime I can post here, maybe get a discussion started.  I've been through the posts on the new TGBoard, and ditto the old one (you may recall) and a lot of things stuck in my mind.

One is the efficacy of hormones alone with no T blockers.  From what I've read and heard T blockers can be nasty and come with side effects I'd really rather avoid.

I want to find out, basically, if hormone therapy works for me, physically and mentally, before I get deeper into it.  If it does I'm totally ready to have the other family jewel removed as I've never cared for what it does, except perhaps the elusive "strength" thing - and I've seen plenty of conflicting reports about that as well.  If I have to work out more to maintain the same, or even a facsimile, of my usual fitness level I'm OK with that.  I don't need much gross strength to live my current life. Cool

I don't do well with patches (dermatitis from any adhesive that stays on very long) and I'm willing to do injections once I get some kind of desired level established.  I'll discuss all this with the new doctor.

But my questions are more like - what did it do for you other than feminization?  Mental?  Moods?

I'm bipolar II but control it with omega-3 supplements, and even better with psychedelic mushrooms (big big help as it resets me to the up stage every time).  

The gender dysphoria is a lot harder to deal with, but actually since I finally said "OK now it's time!" and put these plans in motion it's gotten a bit easier.  I still loathe hearing "Sir" but I find I can just not respond to it in anyway, or mentally flip off whoever's doing it.  I've thought about just saying "I'm nonbinary" but I don't feel that way usually and it involves acknowledging the unobvious slight, so I don't go there.

So, yeah, if you're bipolar does HT help, hurt, or make no difference at all?  I'm assuming it really helps with gender dysphoria (as that's a reason for prescribing) but is that a mental thing or only a physical thing?

I developed obvious breasts at puberty, about an A cup, with glands that produced secretion at the time (whatever that's called).  I want to see them develop obviously (my mom's family tends to large breasts), and I would like to see nipple enlargement as well as proper areola.  At 66 I hope that's not too much to hope for but I've seen conflicting reports about later life transitioning, so I'll be happy with whatever, as I'm really not interested in implants.  I'm looking for experiences here.

I'm also looking for fat redistribution and further addition to my thighs and bum.  The latter has always been on the side of generous (yeah, cue Sir Mix-a-lot right now).  I can live with less upper body strength, I deliberately stay on the lean side there, but I work out regularly.

I would love to see less body hair, not that I'm that hairy, but I've shaved most everything for many years now, even since before I came out, and less or finer stubble would be welcome.

Facial hair I know doesn't much care and I'm gonna be doing laser and then electrolysis for what's left.

I expect to be doing some rhinoplasty, and brow and jaw reduction.  I've read that one wants to give HT a full chance to work before deciding how to go there.  

I think that's the end of my list.  Smile

Any responses, hints, true life experiences will be more than welcome.   I love you  flower

Marci (AKA Lisa)

Last edited by marci on Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
marci
marci

Back to top Go down

Talking about hormone therapy Empty Re: Talking about hormone therapy

Post  Elizabeth Lynn Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:42 pm

I’m 67 and started E patches almost two months ago. Like you, I was most interested in the impact on mood and stopping the constant argument between my inside self and outside self.

So far, there has been a positive change. It’s subtle, but I don’t seem to have that “wound up, ready to come unglued” mental state as much. I’m more serene in my view of the world, and not nearl as emotionally reactive to events in my life.

On the physical side, over the past two weeks I’ve developed a button under my left nipple (don’t have breast tissue on the right). It’s tender, but doesn’t hurt yet, though it lets me know if I bump it. Like you, I’d like to have some fat redistribution to my bum.

As a teen, I had significant breast development - it’s called Gynocomastia. Sometimes on one e, sometimes the other side, sometimes both sides. It was crazy, and hurt like hell if I bumped it. By the time I was 20, the development on the right side hadn’t gone away, and was a generous B cup.

That was 1973, the waning years of the Viet Nam war, and my draft lottery number was 52, which in Montana might as well been 1. My county draft board sent me for a draft physical. As it turned out, the Army considered the breast tissue pre-cancerous, which made me medically unfit to be cannon fodder and I received one of the last 4F draft classifications in Montana. In those days, if you were unfit for military service, you were considered unemployable. So the Social Security Administration said I had to be rehabilitated. They paid for surgery to remove my right breast, and paid tuition and books for the rest of my college. I graduated with a degree in Nursing joined the Air Force and completed a 21 year career.

All in all it was worth it, but now, in hindsight, damn, I wish I had my boob back! But, that’s life. Maybe one day I’ll be able to have breast reconstruction and at least be symmetrical.

Good luck with your appointment.

Liz
Elizabeth Lynn
Elizabeth Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  marci Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:01 am

Hi Liz!

Thanks for your comments and support, I do appreciate it. FWIW I had a low lottery # but thankfully the war got over just in time. cheers

I expect the effects of HT to take some time, and like I think I said I'm not in a hurry. It's just the beginning of a long process that I've been ready for for quite a while.

My breast development during puberty, while disconcerting at the time, never receded and was and is symmetrical. I was a chubby kid also and that didn't help - I do recall talking to a family doctor once about how distressing it was and so on, he reassured me it would probably go away. Well, it didn't - but I grew to quite appreciate that later on as my dysphoria became stronger.

Anybody with long term HT experience to share?

Lisa
marci
marci

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesley Niyori Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:05 pm

I've got several years lived experience plus I'm several years past vaginoplasty surgery.

First off, I used the blockers. The harm I think is minimal. They likely say it to say it. But it's not something to do for a long time either. I was on blockers for a few years. I suggest getting rid of that last jewel ASAP and then it's academic.

Body hair goes away amazingly fast. Or rather it becomes so faint so fair it looks like it is gone.
I still have leg hair and facial hair. But you are planning to solve that. Go with electro, it's permanent. Laser can come back and it won't touch anything not dark. Electro is permanent. Target the upper lip and chin and you are likely going to be happy with that.

Moods. Hmm. I don't know much about BiPolar. But the first 3 years or so, is the crying time Smile Moody, oh so moody. Psychologically, it makes you ultra-femme for a time. We call it the pink haze. It levels out though. Everything becomes 'ordinary' in time.

I began on a single mg of E and slowly approached 4mg over about a year. They might go to 6mg for younguns, but we older gals usually peak at 4mg. I take pill form. I have no experience with patches or injections. I have learned over time, that some sources can run thin on supply for almost anything but pills. I like consistent supply Smile A lot though seem to like injection.

I did NOT grow hooters Smile I barely grew at all. I gained my modest Bs through surgery. I would suggest you not expect much growth at our age. If plan on any form of surgery, just have it all done then if possible.

So many subtle changes happen physically. Skin gets more delicate, easier to damage, longer to repair. Lots of little things damn near impossible to notice. Male pattern hair loss ends if you still have hair. Your voice will not change at all. I found my fibromyalgia was less troublesome for some reason. So you might experience slight shifts in your health. Only an endo would be able to discuss this intelligently with you.

You will experience menopause symptoms that will never quite leave you.
You might end up looking more youthful. I look 20 years out of sync with my age.
Your body will find ways to simulate an artificial monthly cycle. No bleeding, but everything else.

Psychologically it was vaginoplasty or I quit life for me. My partner though is quite happy with her damn near useless penis. She uses hormones and plans to get rid of the jewels. And I know of some transgender gals that are hung like a friggin moose and look devastatingly beautiful. They don't take hormones and have a fun active sex life. So it is a personal thing for you. And don't let anyone tell you anything is 'must do'. I personally find have a vagina is soooo reassuring for me. But my girlfriend is 100% female with her small penis Smile

I have learned that the hormones DO adjust a lot of my thinking. And all for the better, even when it's annoying Smile I lost a lot of aggressive behaviour. I gained a lot of empathy. It made me less prone to a lot of 'dumb male ideas' Smile It changes the way you speak, your mannerisms in little ways. It girlifies you. But what the hell, that's what we expect it to do right? The chances are you will enjoy meeting the daily dose of newness.

I suggest a full year of hormone therapy before you do anything more serious than going 'full time' as we call it. Be the real you, in wardrobe and hairstyle, and let the hormones do their thing before you do anything without an option to stop.

If you can afford and desire to do the face surgery, my advice, you make a REAL effort to also look into voice training. No one will know if you have a penis or vagina routinely. But no matter how you redo your face, it's our voices that do us the most nuisance. Voice training is measured in mouths and years of effort. It works. But it takes discipline.

I look like a late 30s 60 year old woman, until I talk Smile
I'm not concerned about passing, until I talk.
I'm quite bald, but wigs are routinely mistaken as my hair.
But my voice is another matter.

Attitude is the one limiter.
Do you give a shit about pronouns? Me, I stopped caring after a few years.
Confidence. Do you like yourself enough to not give a shit what anyone thinks?
Myself, I am a very confident person. I can look straight in a man's face and tell him "What makes you think I'd ever be so desperate to date someone as ugly as you?"
There ARE always going to be mean nasty people. Most of them are ugly and stupid too.
But if you can look in the mirror, and see a woman, YOU, and not need to offer yourself fake comments like "hello gorgeous" and just see a woman, that's when you know the hormones are working Smile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  marci Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:16 am

Hi Lesley!

Thank you so much for your detailed reply.  To be clear I was only addressing what I believe are hormone related topics at this time, so I won't veer off into other territory like bottom surgery and voice training, though I appreciate the details.

But having experienced suicidal ideation for a while around this topic - OK actually several times in my life - I don't ever want to go back there.

I began on a single mg of E and slowly approached 4mg over about a year. They might go to 6mg for younguns, but we older gals usually peak at 4mg. I take pill form. I have no experience with patches or injections. I have learned over time, that some sources can run thin on supply for almost anything but pills. I like consistent supply Smile A lot though seem to like injection.

Pills are cheaper SFAIK and readily available and that's likely where I'll start out.

I did NOT grow hooters Smile I barely grew at all. I gained my modest Bs through surgery. I would suggest you not expect much growth at our age. If plan on any form of surgery, just have it all done then if possible.

I'm optimistic, as I've heard it a number of different ways from different people, with of course the decreasing result with age.  But I've got a lot for the E to work with already, so I'll find out, and it'll be fun either way as I'm pretty happy already and not really complaining.  But what about changes in nipple and areola?  That interests me greatly.

I've inherited great hair genes, only minor loss so far and not much grey, but it was one of the things that pushed me off the fence and looking for HT TBH.

I know that going here opens up a new level of pronoun usage, but frankly I don't give most of a shit anymore.  Being gendered female has always been pleasant and the opposite not so pleasant.  But this is who I am, I accept it regardless, and my attitude/reaction to it started to change years ago when I first came out.  I.e., no fear basically, but exercise caution.  Wink

You might end up looking more youthful. I look 20 years out of sync with my age.

I can dig that, I was carded on my 50th birthday, which was a treat TBH.  And I even said, "Are you kidding me?"  But they weren't...

It changes the way you speak, your mannerisms in little ways. It girlifies you. But what the hell, that's what we expect it to do right? The chances are you will enjoy meeting the daily dose of newness.

I fully expect to.  To me this is an adventure I've been waiting for too long, something I've promised myself for way too long, and something that, like it or not, always comes up when I'm tripping.

My mirror already says female much of the time.  Sometimes I catch myself going "wait WTF who's that?" because work I've already done on mannerisms, body attitude, posture, and the like pays off.  And when I've just shaved - well, that's where I want to be all the time, so to speak.  

Thanks so much! I love you
Marci/Lisa
marci
marci

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum