The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

G. Drew Gibson (1942 - 2021)

2 posters

Go down

G. Drew Gibson (1942 - 2021) Empty G. Drew Gibson (1942 - 2021)

Post  MichaelaSJ Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:45 pm

My Wife, Dianne, first met Drew when she interviewed with him to be his executive assistant. That was 1977.

Until Drew's passing last Thursday she had been with and continues, to be his assistant, wrapping up his estate and managing the future of his firm. We don't know what will happen to his small real estate development and holding company. His long-time business partner is my age and has his own health issues.

We often watch TV shows where real estate developers are shown as greedy, destroy everything for a Dollar business folk.

Drew was the antithesis of what we watch on TV. Drew was the fairest of the fair, the smartest of the smartest, the one held in the highest esteem in the San Jose area. He, and his business partner, built and managed well over ten million square feet of office and apartment space. They processed over 10,000 residential lots for nationwide and regional builders in The Bay Area. They did this, fairly, taking into account the impact of the local environment, the financial impact of their developments.

If someone can hold another in high regard - then list me as someone who saw in Drew a true human with all of the skills required to be at the top of his field.

Drew leaves a Wife, two adult Daughters, and an adult Son. His children learned well from their Father and have gone on to live productive and fulfilling lives.

To give you an idea of who Drew hung around with: my Wife and I once attended a party at Drew's home with Isabel Allende as the center of attention. He once gave me his tickets to his private booth at Candlestick Park to watch the 49ers and Dianne and I had the joy of talking for a couple of hours with the then Chief Justice of the California Supreme Court, the CEO of Wells Fargo, and the senior partner of the largest law firm in San Jose. Dianne and I once attended a 'Man of the Year' award for Drew where there were over 1,000 friends and associates in attendance.

He spent the last years of his life around Pebble Beach and Carmel, CA where he, and his Wife Katie, literally knew everyone. While we were attending golf tournaments at Pebble, Dianne and I would often be invited to lunch with the little-knowns such as Chuck Schwab or Clint Eastwood. He attracted those types of people and they wanted to know Drew.

He put my daughter through her last two years at Santa Clara University - full ride. My Son on one of his forays to South America met a youngster (12 y/o) who when he was an infant was bit by a snake and that caused his leg to grow in a horrible fashion and was basically unusable. My Son told Drew about this boy and Drew, whose own sister was married to a pediatric orthopod in the Sacramento, CA area, brought this boy up from Iquitos, Peru to the UC Davis Children's Hospital in Sacramento and paid the TOTAL bill to have the very best surgeons put the leg back into shape - the procedure took nearly 9 months. The cost to Drew was well into the hundreds of thousands of Dollars, yet Drew didn't even ask for a thank you before sending the boy back to Iquitos with a straight usable leg and a brand new Apple laptop.

Drew was a force to be reckoned with, and while he was ostensibly a conservative (in the truest of senses) I doubt if he had voted for a GOP candidate in decades given the current atmosphere of Tr***petteers. He and his Wife were very much LGB...T aware and accepting and while I did not come out to Drew and Katie (at my Wife's request) I am certain Miki would have been welcomed with open arms.

I will miss him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Lesley Niyori likes this post

Back to top Go down

G. Drew Gibson (1942 - 2021) Empty Re: G. Drew Gibson (1942 - 2021)

Post  Lesley Niyori Yesterday at 5:57 pm

The most I can hope for in my life, is to be remembered as well.

Sounds like a good person to have known.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I'm the forum's resident brat
I find it important to point out I am indeed the first member here Smile
Lesley Niyori
Lesley Niyori

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelaSJ Yesterday at 7:24 pm

I have no need for a god in my life and I do not believe there is anything beyond death - except for the value of your memory of me.

I will never meet any of you face to face (sorry, Celia) so you will only know me by my comments here and in PMs. What you read here is who I am.

The same goes for my real life. I am who I am and that's all that I am (Popeye). I hope the memories of who I am survive, at least the good ones.

So the soul that ends with my death is what my soul is - simply memories.

...and yes, Drew's soul will live on for a long time. If you are into art, and ever have a chance to visit the San Jose Museum of Art, as you walk in the first thing you might see is the Katie and Drew Gibson wing of exhibits.

Drew was instrumental in getting the Whitney traveling collection to San Jose and he also brought a collection of Rodin's, including a couple of the Thinker (le Pensuer) works. His personal art collection, while small, is very, very well chosen.

One of the classic tales about Drew was when the SJMA was be rebuilt 35 years ago, Drew met with David and Lucille Packard and when Drew's spiel was over, the Packards' agreed to a $100,000 pledge. Drew thanked the Packards for their generosity but said the museum needs a $Million for this new work. He got it.

"Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's original virtue. "—Oscar Wilde.
If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the Government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it is all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag.
Fahrenheit 451
“lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell,” Ron Reagan FFRF
MichaelaSJ
MichaelaSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum