The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant tangents.

4 posters

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant  tangents. - Page 7 Empty Re: Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant tangents.

Post  Elizabeth Lynn Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:21 am

The subject of politics is all consuming here. The very definition and character of the US is under assault by authoritarian, fascist, white supremacy, and white Christian nationalist frenzy. The most radical of the Christian far right are openly advocating and gaining supportive legislators for total implementation of a theocratic rule using (mainly Old Testament) biblical law. It scares the living crap out of me. Something that once was the bedrock of our constitution, separation of church and state is openly ridiculed and minimized be a number of state and some US legislators.

Perhaps more frightening is the apparent impotence of the left, including many right of center moderates. I think this is what real zealotry looks like. And right now, the LGBT in general, and the trans community in particular are the favored target. The parallels to 1920’s and 1930’s Germany is mind boggling.

It exhausts me and I don’t see any calming down of the rhetoric after the midterm election next month. Actually in two weeks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~  Liz
Elizabeth Lynn
Elizabeth Lynn

Back to top Go down

Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant  tangents. - Page 7 Empty Re: Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant tangents.

Post  Celia Eriksson Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:25 am

It is quite easy to explain, young Marie, you see the actress was looking at the Bishop, but the Brigadier had his back turned as a matter of factualness 😋....

You might imagine that the UK leads the field in transgender rights and acceptance, but you would have misplaced such thoughts...

A simple referral to the press, to view the airtime given to terfs here and the support they glean might affirm my view that the UK is actually nowhere near the lead...

Now, l will reiterate here that l believe in peaceful change, l do not advocate militantism in any form, whatsoever... it is counter productive and wrong too...

So, and l state that l refer to no particular person, living or deceased... it could also be anybody on the planet, l am in fact making these cis terf characters up...

Let me use my imagination..  aside from the fact that one of two terfs l am making up as cis support gleaners has a masculine face, particularly her jaw and the other could have a muscular androgenous body, l cannot fathom any rhyme or reason for it.

... but one thing is for sure, religion rarely comes into it over here, like over in the States, thank God...

What does have to do with it, as far as cis people are concerned, is what these terfs begin with to bring the cis onside, that is, before their true nature simply bursts out from underneath the 'legitimate' claims and theb shows them to be quite hateful of our kind...

So what exactly is the begin with? Just how are they getting attention to dish out the dirt?

In a perfect world, this ammunition they have would not be used. But...

Sport: Obvious, l do not need to explain. A six foot 240 pound man, testo flowing in make up competing against a natural born woman. Oh dear, I agree, they should not.... l do not even slightly agree with it and neither does the vast majority of people. So pooh pooh pooh to all terfs... next!

The great bathroom/locker room quandryical question: l am sure that you know how filthy womens toilets get. Reams of toilet paper stuffed down the toilet, faeces everywhere as they stood, squat to defecate, anywhere is fine, apart from upon them appears to be the rule.... not all of them, the majority are considerate, but enough.

I use the disabled loos everywhere now, if it is locked l have never once been refused the key. Apart from an unrelated annoyed remark from a couple, a woman in a wheelchair, that had to wait, nobody cares.

l simply tell the keyholder l am transgender and do not want to cause a scene.

I have no wish to be in a locker room with women either, for I do not wish to view their ugly bodies, but l cannot dive in with the men.

Which, l admit, does put me at a disadvantage, but l do not want to give haters ammunition. l do play badminton and golf but simply turn up in kit, in winter l wear training trousers for badminton.

This loo/changing room quandry is the haters favourite hammer and it needs to lose it's punch... only my way does that... next!

Minors having surgery: l agree with them. I would put the age at 18. I know it misses the all important time. But, it also is a decision that l believe has to be made as an adult, by the adult with no influence from others to sway judgement either way..

Mistakes and regrets are then beholded to the self.

Far less important, but a by the way, it is another biggie that gets cis folk infuriated... and gives creedence to whipped up hatred... you haters must try harder... next!

Transgenders in prison: Yet another quite nasty hammer they wield. I have never hurt anyone, ever, not even raised a hand. I have never stolen a ha'penny either. Never been in trouble with the police ever, l did get an earful when my Brother held me up apple scrumping... that's it....

Now should l go to prison... do l want to be in with a bunch of women, or lots of men... you work it out... next!

Oh, that is it... sorry to all the haters, you have nothing on me, apart from your sheer bigotry.

Almost forgot, l believe Holland is the leader in the field.

Celia xx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant  tangents. - Page 7 Mtm  Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant  tangents. - Page 7 Ancestralnewhomeandrespectednations-2         Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant  tangents. - Page 7 IMG-0144-3                                                
Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow.
Mary Tyler Moore (1936-2017).
Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

http://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:45 pm

The drift to the right is concerning, frightening even. It seems that the lessons of the 1930s and 1940s have been forgotten. To see it in the USA is particularly worrying.

The usual tactics of these bigots is to create an enemy who are declared an existential threat.

Terfs in particular use this tactic. They've created a supposed threat to women's rights and to children from non existent 'militant transgender activists'. Then there's the threat to women's sport from men pretending to be women so they can win medals. The fact that this is a ridiculous idea seems to be lost on them.

It's a conspiracy theory, no more no less. The fact that J K Rowling has been sucked has given it respectability even though it made her a pariah. This only confirms the conspiracy in her mind and that of terfs. She wrote of a fantasy world and now she lives in one. Just like so many conspiracy nuts.

The problem is some of this nonsense has gone mainstream. The Republican party is the US is a good example. The irony is they are half right. There is a conspiracy. A conspiracy by sinister right wing big money individuals to make people believe in non existent conspiracies.

The left and moderates are not countering it very well simply because the left is always splintered.

The only hope is that usually the extremists go too far and destroy themselves and everyone around them eventually. Putin is on course for that. No doubt Trump will go the same way eventually.

Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:38 pm

Celia Eriksson wrote:It is quite easy to explain, young Marie, you see the actress was looking at the Bishop, but the Brigadier had his back turned as a matter of factualness 😋....
Celia xx

Ha ha I  didn't  know that C. I'm  flattered to be called young  as well. 🙂
Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:57 am

Well, coffee time... and as l opened the coffee refill, (l like Kenco rich instant), l reflected that, for me, l am running low, only one spare.... l wait for deals and buy a few at the supermarket, but no deals have been forthcoming.

I am a careful shopper, so l know prices are going through the roof.... l cannot drink cows milk, l do not digest it easily... but strangely cheese is fine and a small yoghurt is ok... so l buy soya milk... it has risen from 1.40 to 1.80 in the last month or so!

Lamb l rarely eat, only if someone as cooked it in their home usually, but any notion that way.... £7 for 4 very small chops and they were on offer!!! Pork chops, much bigger 4.50...

I decided this week, l am going to eat more basics. So simple salads, poached eggs, tuna, cheese and tomato/onion on toast, kippers, crumpets, baguettes, sandwiches and the like. Maybe one traditional meal a week....

.. instead of every evening... l will see how l get on.

A busy weekend, a fun shopping trip tomorrow, a halloween party Saturday and l will be doing my antique fair on Sunday.... then back to my four mornings. By this time next Thursday, l shall be quite conked out!

At the auction Tuesday, l bought two boxes of 70's, (these are 1970-75), Avon novelty perfume bottles... most full, some a little used and 2 empty. About 30 bottles....

I have tried many on the market today and few have the lovely aroma of these and these have staying power too. They were £4 the lot... 3+1 commision...

So l shall be using them, these named scents are not produced by them now, so a little different.. a breeze through my open moby windows just wafted me with a delicate of this mornings application... 6a.m. now 11a.m..... they will last me quite a while!!!

They are shaped like figurines of yore, stagecoaches, cats, birdies, teddies and one is a painted egg, which has a delicous aroma!!!

There are collectors of them, many l have are common, on the net for around 5 empty, but more full... a few are rarer and fetch more..  but these are mine.....

Coffee done.

Celia xx

Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant  tangents. - Page 7 Mtm  Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant  tangents. - Page 7 Ancestralnewhomeandrespectednations-2         Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant  tangents. - Page 7 IMG-0144-3                                                
Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:05 pm

Avon? For some reason I thought they were gone. But it's probably just in Ireland. But now you will waft about with with the scent of seventies following you around.

Now you just need to add a flowery maxi skirt with the slip showing beneath. Remember them? I had one. I would slip out at night wearing it. Rode a bicycle in it once. You'll also need a blouse with big collars and a pair of platforms. Oh and white tights.🙂 My angst ridden teenage years back then. I remember I desperately wanted to be a girl but I definitely wasn't one of those transsexuals I read about in the News of the World.🙄 How I hated my body. Yet photos from the time show me as good looking, slight with a rather feminine air.

Yes prices have gone up steeply but luckily both Lidl and Aldi are close and our new Tesco nearby tries to compete with them. But I've always been a careful shopper because of my upbringing in a house with six kids and a small income. Lamb was always ridiculously expensive which is surprising because sheep are everywhere in this country. So I rarely buy it. I've always saved money by buying reduced price items with a shelf life. Or I'll buy a big chicken, roast it and use the left overs for a curry or a pie or pasta bake on another day. I rarely buy treats too. Much to my boys' frustration.😁

Anyway, must go and pick up one of them from town. Taxi driver me.

Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Lynn Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:52 pm

Good Idaho morning to you!

Not much has been happening here the past week or so. Nights have gotten progressively colder and we’ve had intermittent light rains the past two weeks. We haven’t seen rain since mid June so it’s nice to see the layers of dust washing away.

I finally got my pickup (truck) back from the repair shop after two weeks and $9,407.00 repair bill which at today’s rate would be £8090 and change.. That hurt. The turbocharger failed, the exhaust manifold cracked and a couple of expensive engine covers were broken. Guess I plan on driving this for many more years.

I haven’t seen Avon products forever other that estate auctions and yard sales. I see they are still active, but I haven’t encountered a sales rep in more than 30 years I’d guess. I sold Mary Kay products for awhile - long enough to realize sales is not my forte. I guess I am still a r3p, but inactive.

Well, the day is calling!

~  Liz
Elizabeth Lynn
Elizabeth Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:44 pm

Well the weather here is unseasonably warm. In fact apparently it is all over Europe. I say warm but really not very cold. But it was warm and sunny for a time on Friday. Plenty of rain though. No shortage of water.

Gloomy really as befits the day that's in it. Halloween. We might have some ghostly little visitors later. Halloween is a public holiday here in Ireland. We we invented it after all. Haven't done much for it. A single carved pumpkin. No dressing up planned. I could dress as a woman but I don't think that counts.🤔 Actually the last time I did dress at Halloween it was as a 'French maid'. Not my choice but a lads thing for a Halloween work event. I did overhear someone say I looked the part and my legs were complimented.🤗

A friend has taken in a couple of Ukrainian women. My goodness they've embraced it big time. She sent a picture of the pumpkins they carved. Works of art. They've settled in quite well in what must be a very foreign country for them. Let's hope the fireworks later don't scare them.

To tell the truth I'm a bit down at the moment. Fed up really. Various reasons, none of which are worth talking about. But you'll know which one looms large.

The job I spoke of previously has come up again. Aviation related. Like a fool I reapplied but as I didn't even get to interview stage last time. So I daresay I'm no more likely to be an attractive proposition time either. But you have to
make an effort. It's illegal to discriminate on age grounds so they never do naturally. Cynical laugh 😬

But the laundry must be done and I can hear the machine spinning now.

So off I go.

Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Lynn Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:42 pm

It must be the season and the weather. My mood always takes a nosedive as the daylight decreases. I have my light therapy lamp on now. The diminishing daylight started affecting me back in my early thirties.

Last night my daughter told me she had a heavy, lonesome feeling all day yesterday, missing her mother. I have to say, that describes most of my days, some days not so bad, other days it’s crushing. But that is grief and life still happens.

Tomorrow I am going deer hunting. I hesitate to reveal that these days as few people have any experience with that nor do they/can they understand why someone would hunt. For me, it’s the venison, I love venison. I grew up eating the deer that ate all year in our corn and alfalfa fields. I have a number of favorite recipes fo venison sausage, steak and roasts.

The lawn is calling, I can’t put it off any longer so time to get the mowing started. Once I get laundry sorted and the first load in the washer.

~  Liz
Elizabeth Lynn
Elizabeth Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:24 pm

Well it has rained and rained here, with high winds that have just about stopped today....

I have been quite busy this last week. Last weekend was non stop and with my four mornings l am happy that this weekend, the calendar is free. A nice quiet weekend!!!

Having bought some strange things at this weeks auctions, today l tackled them....

Ok, firstly about 120 second hand watches. Bit of a gamble... but l know how to change a battery... taking the back off can be challenging somtimes...

The reasons watches don't work: Top, battery run out. Then the next is the stem does not engage back in. Finally the hands are touching themselves or the glass. All can be fixed. Otherwise cannibalize it!

Overwound is top for windey watches, followed by gummed up...

Anyway, l waded through them... a Cartier!!! Genuine!! Oh, does not work... tried everything but wow, worth having done! Then two Rotary, several Sekonda, Seiko and Accurist... a 70's East German Ruhla, a Russian Sinitron 1981 digital! Most work!!!

Best of all though, is l keep the very nice looking ones!

I bought several miniatures too... £7... amazed nobody else bid... a 1980's Drambuie and a Pinwinnie. wow... then my last buy.. 3 large bottles of 80's sherry £11... yummy! It will last me years.. l do like sherry, but only a little now and then!!! Only thing is, l do not know if sherry keeps that long...

Guess l will find out one evening!!!

Time to watch Netflix, l found Taboo on there and l do like it... l nearly switched it off at episode1, a very slow start... makes a change from my other present watch, well rewatch... Call The Midwife!!!

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:14 am

'Call the Midwife' Huh! So twee. I would  watch it, muttering about it's tweeness. Yet I watched every  episode.

Anyway on a higher  level (joking)
I'm  watching James  Joyce's Ulysses on the BBC right  now. Yes the  British Broadcasting Corporation. Not Irish TV.

It's an interesting thing  that the  British all too  often make the  most  interesting Irish stories. But  we Irish of course are everywhere in British media. Graham  Norton, Daire O'Briain and Ronan Keating, anyone? Terry Wogan.

I'm  reading Ulysses slowly. I know of the snot green sea. I know of the  Martello tower. I've  been there. I'm a  Dubliner who  has wandered Leopold Bloom's Dublin.

Indeed one day my sister  crashed  her motorcycle while carrying  her kitten just  outside Leopold Bloom's house. We were  intrigued with that when I went to rescue her. The accident was a  non event  really.

We called the  kitten Woody. That was
a while  ago when I had an individual life.

Last edited by Mariehart11 on Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Lynn Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:23 am

The deer are safe from me for another year.  I saw 3 on Tuesday, but no reasonable shot.  Today I went again, but was a bust as far as finding deer, but the scenery made up for it.

Looking south across the Snake River valley from a top a lava formation called the King’s Crown.

Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant  tangents. - Page 7 53d65410

The point I’m standing on is about 1000 feet above the valley floor and distance to the far side is about 10 miles I’d guess.

Mid morning a fog bank rolled in from the east

Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant  tangents. - Page 7 865a7910

There are rewards to being out in the wilds beside returning home with game.

~  Liz
Elizabeth Lynn
Elizabeth Lynn

Tara likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:33 pm

Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant  tangents. - Page 7 Cdab50962c71083d95c36f0865479114

!!!!!!

Well Liz!!! But in actual of fact, l know Deer have to be culled. Predators have mostly been removed and they would be everywhere... like Rabbit here. though l am sure you have the odd American feline in those parts of the windswept North-West Americane type wildies...

There are plenty here, l hear them at night trotting around my moby, slaking their thirst at my pond. At least they do until it rains and rains like it has been doing, with more to come.... today was a brief respite...

They eat flowers too, they like the sweetness upon the tongue... so we all plant flowers they do not like, else it is stalksville...

The wilderness over there... Idaho, Wyoming, Montana et al, is breathtaking... it sometimes seems strange to think of that compared to NY or California...

We have wilds too, the New Forest near me is so... but very much managed, more like Yellowstone than true wildies... the nature park on my doorstep is full of Deer, mostly Roe and Muntjacs, l think l spelt that right?

I was on the golf range once, up in Surrey, when Muntjac appeared, they are everywhere now... very small, the size of a large Dog...

I use to like Terry Wogan, Marie. I listened to his radio show a lot and from what l know he was a very nice man...

So l must prepare my tea.... l cannot decide what to have. It will involve baguette... either cheese, bacon or tuna... best go into the kitchen!!!

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:59 am

Wow, Liz, that does look like 'Big sky country'. I could  just  see  Clint riding  towards us with his big hat  and cigarillo.

The vastness of America is mind boggling to one whose whole country country is approximately the same size as the state of Maine.

We do  have  a sort of  wilderness. An hour or less out of town you  can stop the car as I  did once and asked everyone what they saw. It was mountains, forest and lake. The  only  obvious  human impact was the  road. It's  a false impression because the whole  landscape was moulded by people.
Looking closely you  see  stone walls  climbing the  mountain. Often  you see corrugations on  the side of the hills where  people  planted potatoes. The only  place available to them. A silent  commemoration of the poverty that drove people across the  Atlantic to the new world and the wide open spaces or more  likely the crowded cities.

But it does  have  a harsh  beauty. I  saw  the film 'The banshees of Inisherin' Wednesday  night. Very funny and very dark. A Martin  Mc Donagh movie. In Bruge is one of his. Seven  Billboards is another.

The setting and scenery is impressive but  being  local we're  familiar with the scenery.

It did contrast with our pre movie dinner in the 5 star Hotel  beside the  cinema. 5 star it was too. An American couple at the  next table was having a  Tattinger Champagne experience. I  said to my wife 'Why  didn't  we  book  that?'.

It  sounds  like  we're loaded but actually it was a birthday  present  voucher  from the  family.

I definitely  recommend the movie. It will  feature in the Oscars for sure. Also I  was once an extra in a movie with Brendan Gleeson. Not  that I'm a name  dropper.😉
Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:07 pm

I've been more than a bit down of late. More than usual but this is not the thread for self indulgence. Most of us in this world are people who can cope mostly.

Celia's deer invaders remind me of when I was in Zimbabwe at an airstrip near Vic Falls. A couple lived there in rather basic conditions. Essentially in the hangar. My mate and her boyfriend took off in the plane for some basic hooligan flying. Boys!😏

So I chatted to her as I do. She told me about how the little Dik Diks would come around. Tiny antelope. They vanished when the Leopards arrived. She surmised they were eaten. She told me how she'd be having her breakfast smoke and coffee while the Leopard would look on. I noticed the women in Africa were tough.

Anyway my point is that while we have deer, we don't have the predators to control them. We could reintroduce wolves or Sabre tooth Tigers. That would be cool albeit scary.

Probably easier to shoot the deer. I don't think Sabre tooth Tigers wandering suburbia would be popular.😀

Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:47 am

I do think she is luck to have such wonderful wildlife as Leopard on her doorstep... with Deer being such timid, yet very wary fleet of foot sweeties, it always amazes me how some predators, such as a lumbering Leopard, can survive... but they do catch them...

Lion hunt in prides, so it is easier, Cheetah are very fast... but other predators rely on sheer stealth... amazing.

From down here on the South coast, up to London parks and to the tippy top of Scotland we have Deer, mostly Roe, Fallow and Red, the three native species... but Muntjac, an invasive species, are getting everywhere now, with two others l cannot recall the names of also invasive and increasing... oh one is Sika... just came to me!

They are culled in managed enviroments, here in a few weeks we will hear gunfire at night, signs will be up forbidding entry into the reserve... the London parks and estates across Britain will be doing so too...

Sad, but necessary. I have seen all the species... the Red is the largest, the alpha Stag is huge and a beautiful animal. But for numbers, nothing comes close to Rein. The male and female both have antlers, the only Deer so. They have herds in huge numbers.

The Sami used to herd them, up in the North, but now it is  a government operation. Tourists can go to Tromso and other places to watch the Sami show their skills, with Reindeer pulling sleighs for rides... yes, they can and do pull sleighs... but sadly the Sami no longer are herding the huge numbers they once did.

Well, it is time for cleaning moby... the days go so quick... it is already 11!!!!

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Lynn Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:35 pm

Marie, I hear ya. My mood is labile under the best of circumstances. But as the length of daylight decreases, so does my mood.

We have two main species of deer, Mule deer and whitetail deer in the lower 48 states, with small sub species populations in isolated areas.

Mule deer - named after their huge mule ears are the larger of the two and inhabit large open spaces like that in the pics I posted. They are vigilant, wary critters and most shots are fairly long range, 100 to 300 yards. Occasionally if you surprise them you may have a sub 100 yard shot.

Whitetail inhabit dense cover in woodlands, river bottoms and urban green space. They have acclimated quite well to city living. It’s very common to see them happily grazing in the city parks.

In the winter both species will venture onto city and suburban streets to sample tasty plantings around homes and commercial buildings.

We have several large predators that help control the populations of both year around. Wolves, Coyotes, bears, cougars, Canadian Lynx and even an occasional over-achieving bobcat all stalk deer. In late winter all of these predators except the wolves can be found looking for food in the suburbs that border undeveloped lands. They are hungry and opportunistic and are are just as happy with small dogs, house cats and chickens. Each spring the Fish and Game wardens have to dart and tranquilize black bears and the occasional cougar when the stick around too long.

There are captive populations of Red Deer here that are used to crossbreed with captive herds of Elk as the are closely related. The captive herds are either raised for meat to be sold commercially, or to produce monster bulls (stags) for captive hunts. There is real risk that animals carrying Red deer genetics will escape and pollute the native, wild elk gene pool. Personally, I suspect that has already happened just as it’s happened to the few wild bison herds.

Time to do nagging chores.

~  Liz
Elizabeth Lynn
Elizabeth Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:22 pm

Speaking of Wolves there was a news item the other  day from the Netherlands. Apparently they  have  wolves. Such a small  built up country to have wolves. But they've become too familiar with humans so the Dutch have resorted to shooting them with paintball  guns to make them wary of humans.

The Netherlands is small though. My family were there for a  holiday and we climbed a smal hill with an observation platform on top. From  there we just about see Amsterdam but also Den Haag and Rotterdam. So close together.

In Dublin we have the huge Phoenix Park right in the  city. It has deer, wild deer. Trouble is that foreign  tourists get too close thinking they're tame. They're not as one  or two find out  every year. 🤣

Last edited by Mariehart11 on Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Lynn Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:28 am

I guess tourists are the same the world over. Here, in Yellowstone National Park, the summer tourist season is also called Tourist Goring Season for Bison. Why someone thinks they can walk up and put their arm around a 2000 pound bull bison for a selfie is beyond logic. Each year some number of tourists are medivaced out of the park for trauma care after an unfortunate encounter with a bison or elk - both wander through parking lots, roads and attractions. To add insult to injury, the injured tourist is also cited for violating park rules and fined, and occasionally incarcerated for short periods. Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest.

I can make my way about cities and have driven in and around nearly all the largest cities in the states. I can do it, but not by preference. In the final analysis, I’m a daughter of the west and open spaces.

~  Liz
Elizabeth Lynn
Elizabeth Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:32 am

That happens here too, even an average sized Roe can seriously injure the seriously stupid... but the reaction is quite different... the UK is hamstrung with a victim culture and a want to immediately blame anyone but the self for ill actions...

So today is flu jab day... everyone l know says this years one packs a punch.... ooer!!! One lady l know told me some places it means two jabs, one in each arm? Surely notikins!!!

Then Saturday it is Covid-19 booster.... l am going to feel like a pin cushion!!!

It was auction night last night... bit of a mixed bag for me. I saw a chess set on a lovely board... it was as big as a table top set can be... quite large... chalkware painted silver and sienna... l will hand paint it, when l find time... but also a few chips, dang. And so the clay must come out first...

I primarily bought it because a second normal size set came with it... in a velvet bag... an antique St. George set, which would be worth a few hundred pounds, l paid thirty... the bidding had started at 10... (l had quickly counted the pieces of the St George, lots more to view you see). Woe!!! For when l got home l discovered that one pawn was very different... then about five slightly different... still old and similar, 19th century, but not a proper set... the big board is worth 30 on its own though, at least, it is quite lovely...

My disappointment was nulled though. A lot l bid on of acrylic paints, about 30 tubes and 15 x 250ml bottles and some old pens. I wanted the bottles... l dropped out at 20... the bids went past 40 ... an old dealer friend won it...

As l was leaving he asked what l had wanted, l said the bottles... which though very mucky had never been opened... he gave them to me... he had wanted the pens! I told him the tubes were popular, he would make some on them... l prefer the never gum up bottles... the tubes came with five art clear varnish bottles too, all worth about 100. It made my evening...

Coffee all slurpified... time to get on with stuff.

Celia xx

Which brings

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:16 pm

Bit of a result then Celia. It's  great when  you have  a bit of knowledge and make  a few  quid out it.

I'm  currently tidying our attic. I say attic but it's  more of of a big additional room with a  proper staircase up to it. It's a combination of a games room and dumping  ground. Nothing too valuable up there. But there's  money to be made. Some old video  games. Old military helmets worth a least a couple of grand plus some  unmade  model  kits which might  make  a couple of hundred. No point in leaving good money sitting in boxes.

I wish there were car boot sales round  here. I'd  definitely sell quite a  bit. Ebay is essentially useless. I sold something  recently and only ended up making €2. Pointless.

I'm sat here doing  nothing at the moment  though. Have  to collect the  boys soon anyway. It's a gloomy November day out there. The wind howling down the chimney reminds me of Wuthering Heights. Hopefully  Heathcliff won't burst in muttering foul imprecations.😄 we did Wuthering Heights at school which didn't endear me to the book unfortunately.

Another book I detested heartily  was Peig, pronounced Peg. Which was part of   irish curriculum in schol.The story of a  woman living  somewhere here in the West of Ireland. Not that I  read the book because it was in Irish and despite being taught Irish  from 4 years old. I never really  grasped it, indeed  learned to hate it despite it being our native  language. It was so badly  taught in school that I  feel more damage was done to the  language after independence than centuries of British rule. Less  people  speak it now than then.

Both my boys are fluent though not that they ever speak it. Indeed the youngest is in an Irish speaking stream in his high school. He learns Maths in  the Irish language. I  don't  try and help with homework. Maths and Irish. Double  Dutch to me.

Well must  go collect na buachailli (boys) ar an gluaistean  (in the car).

Slan go fhoil (Bye)

See I know some Gaeilge!🙂

Maire (Marie)

Last edited by Mariehart11 on Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Lynn Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:34 pm

I have a lot of just “stuff” to sell. Lynn was a stamper. She created beautiful cards with rubber stamps and various embellishments. Over the years she collected an entire bedroom full of stamps, card stock, punches and assorted equipment. It’s overwhelming to contemplate how best to organize and price it all.

Then there’s just the 50 year’s accumulation one acquires while living life. Some furniture items, books and bookshelves. Most of the books I will give away. Some will be difficult to part with as they are like cherished old friends, but they will have to go.

It’s time to cull clothes too. My early in transition craziness about trying all types of feminine attire has matured to what is comfortable and frequently used. Much of my wardrobe is wonderful, but the truth is there is few to no occasions where some things are required. Some no longer fit, other pieces are of a style I no long like.

Though I donated most of Lynn’s clothes, I still have at least 20 pairs of jeans and assorted bottoms. Several of her coats.

Then there are my hobbies! My interests have changed over time, especially after Lynn’s passing. I guess that is normal with grief, so have held off while I learn to live in this new reality. That’s a slow process..

It snowed yesterday and is cold this morning, so though I really don’t want to, I need to take my walk. If I don’t I’ll lay around all day. So, out I go!

~  Liz
Elizabeth Lynn
Elizabeth Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:06 pm

I am very similar to you Lynn, in jeans numbers... well no, l probably have 30+ pairs, nearly all top brands. About 20 are flared, l love them and though high rise are more comfortable and make my legs look longer, my hips wider being 26 waist, my favourite pair are actually one of my low rise with quite wide flares....

The only Gaelic l know is planxty!, the Irish drinking 'cheers', though l know there is sliante too... am l right Marie?

I think you know how l know that.... yes, l liked the band called Planxty in the 80's, 90's... l had all their LPs and still sing some of them in the shower or doing stuff, driving and that... Christy, Liam, Andy and Donal as l recall, that off the top of my head!

So Helga decided to throw another wibbler today... brake light... warning light came on but nearside, so could not see... got bulb out to change and two wires came out of somewhere and l was panicking.. the bulb holder is a nightmare too... l was flummoxed... l really should not touch anything...

Luckily, my superb neighbour saw me struggling, he came over an fixed all in no time... apparently taking out the lights wholesale is easier... he is a magician!

Shepherds Pie in 9ven, should be ready very soon...

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:53 pm

C, I remember Planxty, Christy Moore was the lead musician at one point. He's still going strong. As there's no x in the Irish language it can't be an Irish so I looked it up and apparently it means a mournful dirge for a harp???

That doesn't help. Yes Slainte is the toast usually. Good health it means. Pron. Slawn cha.

I think may I should get rid of a lot of my female clothes too. Maybe all of them.😔 My male stuff is tired and worn as I rarely buy any.

Anyway I'm off to cook a chicken I got for €3.50 in Tesco because it's about to expire. I'll get two dinners out of that. Curry or a pie tomorrow. We have to save money there's a war on you know!

On that point I just read that over 1% of the population in this country is now Ukrainian. 55,000. Amazing but a problem because we've simply run out of accommodation. They going to have to build modular housing or something. It seems the Ukrainians have by and large settled well here though. I imagine many will stay.
Incidentally Poles make up about 2% of the population. They came to work of course and have integrated well. That means Polish is the second most spoken language in Ireland with Irish well down the list😄

They brought their food too. I like a bit of Polish sausage.🤭
Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:56 am

Yes, l watched a concert on youtube yesterday, l did not notice the year, but it featured Christy and Andy... Christy looked quite old... perhaps he is, after all the Sweeneys Men, the precursor were around in the 60s, l think Christy was in that? I know Andy was....

I do have my purges... l rarely throw jeans, slacks or playsuits out, but tops and sweaters l do seasonly, almost changing my wardrobe twice a year, not all though...

For it is an enigma that, apart from the ridiculously old leather jacket l wore aged 14, (too big now!), and an original 70's flares and several original 1960's mini/maxis l bought, (too precious to wear)....

... of my everyday wearing stuff, the oldest thing is a black and white speckly top, with beatiful large bronze buttons with chinese characters on, that l bought in TK Max around 2010.... it must be hard wearing, for it has escaped my infamous, immaculacy inspectivical inquisitions and l still wear it now and then....

Poles are a friendly people, l like them... having never met a Ukranian, (should it be 'an Ukranian'... does it sound right to you?), l cannot comment.

But me commenting on Ukraine is not my thing at all, l hate war... but here goes..  Russia should pull out, it is clearly wrong... but l do say that it is a civil war is it not? For should we be sending bullets to kill young Russian men? Sorry, l know Ukraine has been wronged, but l do not think we should...

I do not know... it truly is an awful thing happening and l hope peace comes soon... l do not have the answers... but it seems like pouring petrol on to flames, providing arms... peace please!

I will finish my coffee then it will be art time!!!

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next