The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant tangents.

4 posters

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant  tangents. - Page 8 Empty Re: Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant tangents.

Post  Mariehart11 Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:35 am

Not a civil war really. Like the  Scots and the English, similar but not the  same. Or Irish and English or French and Belgian. Catalan and Spanish. Basque and Spanish Different people similar cultures. Different  languages.

I've  worked with  Russians and Ukrainians. The  Russians were more friendly, ironically but the Ukrainians were more serious,  as the Russians  found out to  their cost. The Ukrainians think  for themselves the Russians obey orders.

But we have to take sides against a brutal fascist regime invading a peaceful nascent democracy that was no threat to anyone. A regime which cares nothing for the young men it's  feeding into the  meatgrinder. They don't  even
bother to recover the dead. The Russians were and are always  careless about their soldiers. Putin is an evil man. A dangerous man to all of us. He has to be  stopped. The war really upsets me.

All too serious and upsetting. I am though a student of history and we're  living through it. Putin is finished  but he'll  linger on for a while like  Hitler after Stalingrad but the fall of Kherson is  his Stalingrad. A turning  point and the  beginning of the end.

Anyway on a lighter note.

Clothes. I  never  purged until I  got  married. I got  rid of  everything when I  married because  obviously there  was no need. I was cured. 🤣

A lot of it was vintage. I had a bra  from the  sixties, you know the pointy ones. My wonder bra which I  absolutely
adored  because it was so flattering. I completely  fell for the hype like so  many  women.

I still  have  a picture of me in it looking quite  serious despite my  attempt to  be sexy for  some  man. I do look like a  woman though. It's a  remarkable photo.

My first  proper  high heels bought in the eighties in Dunnes stores Kilnamanagh. The checkout girl  joked about  me wearing them. I laughed 'Do you  honestly think I'm a  size 6'. How we laughed. Except I  was a size 6. I loved those eighties  shoes.

Lady Diana court shoes. The skirt I  bought in Oxford  Street. My short and tight  skirt  which rose up embarrassingly every time I wore it. My first rather sensible  wig. The ridiculous suspender  belt. My expensive  make up. My tops and dresses. All dumped. Some recycled of course.

I've  built up a  collection recently but it's  not the  same. In reality I  live in jeans male or female. You  lucky  ladies  get to live your  authentic  lives.

Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant  tangents. - Page 8 Empty Re: Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant tangents.

Post  Mariehart11 Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:10 pm

I'm  watching the movie Air America at the moment. It's  great  fun of course. I've  read the  book it's  based on.

But I  really  object to the depiction of the pilots as crazy  non conformists. That's a  common theme in so many movies. Maverick anyone?
But I've  been  hanging around  bloody pilots for forty years or so. Mostly they are really boring. I  once  silenced a  room full of pilots by jokingly suggesting we talk about something other than flying. I  was joking but I  made  my point. That applies to the female pilots too.

We are  as a group  quite conservative. Liz I'm  sure you'd confirm that being in the  Air Force.

I  really only  became  aware of it when I  found myself flying skydivers. They are the  real  non conformists. I  was the butt of all  the jokes and they were genuinely suspicious of  me. I really  had to  earn their trust. They  had a low opinion of pilots. Quite  justifiably from some of the  stories.

Last edited by Mariehart11 on Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:42 pm

Hi Liz, can I ask a question? What was the moment when you stopped pretending. I ask the same of Celia. Also our other friends who've stopped posting. Seriously why? What have we done to you?

OK I understand it wasn't overnight. It never is. So it's a long moment.

I'm in the long moment. I got a reply the usual stuff. I now need to make the appointment . I really need the hormones. A long way away. Two years apparently
Ah, I'll be dead by then
Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:18 am

I  just  noticed I've  written quite a  lot. I'm sorry. I do go on But  this thread is  all about this. Both you  C and Liz have posted interesting stories of your lives.

I've really  enjoyed reading about your normal lives. To me Liz is a bit of a cowgirl. C  is an antique  dealer. Discovery Channel make  documentaries about less.

I'd be very interested in  your  perception of  yourselves. I identify as a woman. However I'm  male. Everyone sees that.

I  really  can't resolve that.  

How on earth do you compromise?

Last edited by Mariehart11 on Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Lynn Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:36 am

Marie,

I responded to your question, but for some reason it didn’t post. I’ll retype it later this evening, need to get dinner going now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~  Liz
Elizabeth Lynn
Elizabeth Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Lynn Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:17 am

Okay, let me try this again.

For the majority of my life, up until 10 years ago, I always knew I was somehow a bit different than my male classmates and colleagues. That all changed during the winter of 2011/2012.

Throughout the fall of 2011 I experienced growing discomfort and deepening depression over the top of persistent chronic depression. That all collapsed on me sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas 2011. It’s all kind of a fog now. I worked at home and my daily pattern was to work till 4pm then drag myself to my bed, turn on the tv and try to fall asleep to escape the heaviness. I so wanted to have the pain gone, and while I wasn’t suicidal, that was about the only way I could imagine being free of the pain.

On this particular day I was especially tired and half awake. Something I heard on the tv triggered my awareness and I started crying and heard myself say “I need to be a woman”. In that instant I experienced a moment of absolute clarity and certainty about who I was.

After that I started seeing my therapist again and with her help I began to expand my understanding of this new reality.

Throughout this process of growth, many things from my past, as far back as 7 years of age, began to make sense.

Lynn and I did a lot of work to survive this. It wasn’t easy for either of us, but especially for her. At one point about a year or so in she told one of our friends that she realized that this was right because I was a totally different, and much happier person.

I took my transition steps slowly, and didn’t go full time till after she retired from teaching. Then she got sick and thought I stayed full time, that wasn’t where my attention was focused.

I didn’t start estrogen until just 16 months ago, July 2021.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~  Liz
Elizabeth Lynn
Elizabeth Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:05 pm

So in effect you suppresed it most of your life? I've heard of that before. I read a book written by a trans woman. She had essentially the same experience although I doubted her at the time.

Because of course many of us realise quite early that we're 'different' even if we don't always understand how or why. I must have had an inkling very early because I remember asking my Mother if it was true that boys grew up to be women and girls men. She said yes and I went away happy. She was either joking or misheard me.

But I was about 12 before first started wishing I was a girl and crossdressing. I never had a meltdown as such but it only in recent years that I finally accepted myself. I came close though a few times. I made a conscious decision to end my life at one point. Once literally standing on the brink.

You certainly went through a tough experience. Thanks for sharing.
Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Lynn Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:21 pm

Each of us has a very uniquely personal experience that is highly influence by our environment over time.

I grew up in the 50’s and 60’s and came off ages during the 70’s. The environment was remote and isolated from cities and the diversity cities had compared to our farm. We had a black and white TV and on the best of days we received 3 stations.

I was socialized as a cowboy; it’s all I knew and had no language, no lexicon with which to describe those confusing inner feelings. I just knew that speaking about those feeling would not be accepted. But I knew I was different. I was smaller than all my classmates except one. I preferred to play with the girls at recess. I cried easily and I wasn’t strong, fast or athletically inclined. I got beat up more than I care to recall. As I grew older, I learned to use my senses to read people and became quite good at de-escalating evolving conflict before it turned physical. I hated the competition that seemed always present with my male classmates and even my friends. I loved babies and was trusted enough to babysit for newborns by the time I was 10. Even so, as I entered puberty and began to notice everyone maturing, I was always attracted to girls and have remained so to this day.

I do recall one event when I was around 8 or 9 years old. My parents subscribed to Life Magazine and one issue had an article about Christine Jorgensen. She was really the first American to undergo gender confirming surgery and be completely and fabulously open about it. She was glamorous in a Marilyn Monroe sort of way. I was fascinated by her story as it was the first time I became aware that people like her existed. But I clearly remember feeling something else. I recall feeling something vaguely like a kinship to this person, but again, at the time I had no vocabulary to describe the feelings. It was confusing and a bit frightening. But I never forgot about the article or her. While in nursing school I remember telling a girl I was dating that I was considering moving to Denmark to work as a nurse. What I didn’t say was it was because that’s where CJ had her surgeries. Even then I didn’t recognize the reasons behind those thoughts.

A year or so later, CJ came back into my life. At that time she was on the speaking circuit and was speaking at the local college. I remember being so excited to see her in person and learn more about her story. She didn’t disappoint. Her talk was so personal and so intimate and she had such an engaging way of speaking. I left the lecture feeling exhilarated - but still, I didn’t know why. Such is the power of repression when I had even the slightest inkling of that could be me.

Shortly after that I met Lynn, finally graduated college, took my state board exams, got married started my first nursing job, found out we were expecting a child, joined the Air Force and moved to Texas. All in the space of a year. Being busy helps repressed stuff stay repressed. And so it was for the next 30 years. But always there was that vague underlying sense of being different.

~  Liz
Elizabeth Lynn
Elizabeth Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:09 pm

"Each of us has a very uniquely personal experience that is highly influence by our environment over time."

Yet there's some striking parallels. I  grew up in a city, a liberal city but in a repressed country. We had one TV station but to be fair it was just  us. Most  people  had a TV aerial which picked up British television which was way ahead of us. More, we had British newspapers. They were far more  entertaining than the staid Irish papers.

That's  where I was educated. They loved a 'transsexual' story. The 'News of the World' in particular. The sensational style wasn't  particularly helpful but you  could get an insight.

Oops I  need to  abridge this. Otherwise I'll write a long history.

I too knew to be different and learned to read people. I to was a babysitter from an early  age and I was always instinctively able to look  after children. The kids adored me. As an adult they told me as such. Interestingly even  as an adult my sisters used  me as a baby sitter. Often  overnight. When they lived in  London I  was brought over  regularly.
Even after I  married and  had  children of my own. My sisters in law used me. Even  staying overnight with their  children. Babies included. I  cannot think of any of the men in either  family who  could  be trusted. Interesting.

But 'Being busy helps repressed stuff stay repressed. And so it was for the next 30 years. But always there was that vague underlying sense of being different.'

I did busy and a quixotic ambition. I too  wanted to join the  air force but  as a pilot. Except we don't  really  have an air force, an Air Corps who might take six cadets a year. Not a slightly effeminate shy individual. I was  delusional. I  tried the RAF in Britain too but they  quie rightly felt I wasn't  what they were looking for. But really I  wanted to  fly to escape in a rather  romantic way. I  did in the end almost accidentally.

One evening I  ended up above cloud as the sun was setting. The clouds were thick and dense looking like an alien landscape. More, they were coloured by the  setting sun in a glorious pallet of orange and pink. It was out of this  world. I was in heaven literally. I dived and swooped through the valleys and canyons until my reverie was broken by a radio call from the  ground wondering what happened to me. I  dived into the  cloud and emerged into the  gloom beneath. I  wish I  could have  stayed there.

But reality always  breaks  through. I  had several moments like that over the years.

But I  digress in a very  indulgent way. Which is why I  welcomed my recent invitation to go back to flying. I want to  relive those  moments.

Anything to avoid facing my reality. Trying to be  busy. My wife's  disapproval doesn't help but how do I  blame her?

I kind of feel if I do it slowly I might insinuate myself into being an acceptable woman.

Probably not.
Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Lynn Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:49 am

You are so correct about shared experiences.  I think while all of us have our own stories, there are a lot of commonalities with respect to the what, when and how of our experience.  That’s why it is so harmful for the gate keepers out there, both within the trans and medical communities.  Not to mention the venomous outright denial in the TERF and conservative cesspools.  I encountered a trans person who was new to a group I attend who immediately began criticizing the nature of some member’s presentation.  I pushed back somewhat forcefully and haven’t seen her since.

It’s hard to say where all the other posters went, though I think in general a lot of people have migrated to social media platforms. Instagram, Facebook (though even that is viewed by teens and 20 something’s as old) Discord, tik-toc Twitter and a whole tribe of other mobile apps.

I guess I must not be a social person as I have no desire, no need to broadcast my life to the world or share every little event in my day.

I wouldn’t say I am conservative, despite growing up rural.  I am definitely Democrat, but more accurately I’d call myself a centrist that leans to the left.  I can’t fully buy in to the progressive movement, but don’t disagree with many of their positions.

I believe that the best public policy comes out of a well balanced legislative body.  I am a committed believer in the separation of church and state.  The three great threats to democracy are religious involvement in government, ignorance fed by a starved public educational system and the unregulated and non-transparent application of vast sums of money in the political process.

Right now we have all three forces growing in strength in the US.

This mid-term election turned out better than I expected, but we are still under grave threat by those seeking a theocratic government (the very same people who were in a hysterical panic about the possibility of shariah law in the US), the assault on funding for public education and the overwhelming concentration of wealth among a tiny fraction of the population.  So that’s me!

~  Liz
Elizabeth Lynn
Elizabeth Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:00 am

This site is going a bit funny... l wrote a nice long reply and it has bloody well disappeared!!! Pooh and double pooh!!! I shall hit the 'draft' button more in future...

I do not have time to do it again... notwithstanding that l was simply saying, in my long windical way that l believe there are similarities between us... anyway...

It is raining terribly again and it will rain most of the time 'til Fridayish... bit today is auction day!!! I will let you know how l get on!

Have to do stuff....

Celia xx

Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant  tangents. - Page 8 Mtm  Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant  tangents. - Page 8 Ancestralnewhomeandrespectednations-2         Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant  tangents. - Page 8 IMG-0144-3                                                
Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow.
Mary Tyler Moore (1936-2017).
Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

http://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Lynn Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:30 pm

That”# the same thing that happened to me a couple of days ago!

~  Liz
Elizabeth Lynn
Elizabeth Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:02 pm

Elizabeth Lynn wrote:You are so correct about shared experiences.  I think while all of us have our own stories, there are a lot of commonalities with respect to the what, when and how of our experience.  That’s why it is so harmful for the gate keepers out there, both within the trans and medical communities.  Not to mention the venomous outright denial in the TERF and conservative cesspools.  I encountered a trans person who was new to a group I attend who immediately began criticizing the nature of some member’s presentation.  I pushed back somewhat forcefully and haven’t seen her since.

It’s hard to say where all the other posters went, though I think in general a lot of people have migrated to social media platforms. Instagram, Facebook (though even that is viewed by teens and 20 something’s as .......................e!

I  can only  agree with all off the  above. Also Celia's assertion that things  disappear. I've had that. It's  seems to be a something of this forum. I  also delete some of  my more self indulgent posts. But  that's  deliberate.

It does bother  me that the few of us have  stopped  posting. I really miss  their input.

But, last night I  was quite upset. Very  upset. No need to go into detail. My wife had a couple of  glasses of  wine. One of  my nephews is 21 but I  can't go to  his birthday party mainly  because of the  expense and my foot issue.

My wife decided it was because I'm  trangender and 'all' my family  know. Only one does in reality. But my wife thinks they'll  judge  her for that. In reality if they knew they  would take her side. It really  bothers  her  and I  feel awful about it. But  what  can  I  do?.

I  can't  blame  her. To be fair she  doesn't  blame  me either but she  simply  can't accept it.

It  leaves me in an invidious situation. I would hate to embarrass and humiliate her.

So I won't and I can't.

So I stay as i am.

Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Lynn Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:48 am

I miss the other folks as well. I’ve also thoroughly enjoyed this conversation. It’s more real and tangible than most of my real life social relationships here.

I so feel for you and your wife. This is not easy for either.

Lynn had similar fears while she was teaching school. She taught long enough here that it was common for current and former students to see here while we were out and about and bring their parents to chat as well. Lynn being who she was, knew all the kids and most of their parents. Given we live in blood red Idaho her concern was most valid. The concentration of LDS and VERY conservative Christian churches here, the likelihood of encountering disapproval was high with a high possibility of that disapproval being expressed to the school. So I accommodated her concerns. I didn’t mind doing it, but it still wasn’t easy on me. If we were going through that now, it would be worse. The Trumpian philosophy of being as nasty as possible till you get your way has run amok here.

From the perspective of today given all that has transpired, I’m so very thankful I accommodated her concerns and am forever grateful for her courage navigating my transition - really our transition.

~  Liz
Elizabeth Lynn
Elizabeth Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:54 am

Well, stand your ground Marie. Easy for me to say though... it is a long time since l lost friends... for being who l was and am... l lost more at secondary school after l had painted my nails red with my Sister's polish and then did not know how to remove it properly... l got most off, but not enough to be discovered whilst writing...

... l was small, effete and had already been 'suspected', correctly, of being gay, (a heinous classroom 'crime' back then), and the jokes were on me about it... but l had been reasonably popular and was again... after some time...

Give it time, he may come round.... 'may'...

Anyway...

Driving this morning, l thought l saw a UFO in the sky, it exuded reds, oranges and yellows on tge hirizon.... then l remembered the thing we humans call the Sun!!!! And it has been here four hours now!!!!

Wonders to behold!!! In keeping with this amazing situation!!! I shall go and sit in it for a while... it is windy, about 50 degrees, but hey, it is there to be enjoyed!!! Then a little gardening, if it does not rain....

Celia xx

Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant  tangents. - Page 8 Mtm  Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant  tangents. - Page 8 Ancestralnewhomeandrespectednations-2         Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant  tangents. - Page 8 IMG-0144-3                                                
Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:41 pm

Funnily enough the same 'UFO' is hovering around  outside at the  moment. Nice but probably not likely to last.

Yes school was very much a no gay zone  back then. Although it was suspected one of the teachers was gay. The coolest one inevitably. I painted my nails too but was much better at removing it than  you  were obviously.😄 They never saw my toes though. 🤭

I  did have a near miss. I'd sometimes wear  girls panties to school but forgot about  PE class once. I delayed changing into my shorts and got away with it. But was paranoid throughout because shorts were very short back then, remember.😧

I  didn't really have to worry about losing friends because I  had none. I  was probably suspected of being gay but it was never spoken of. Such was the  way of things back  then. I had a massive crush on Paul in my class. So sort of  always managed to talk to him or stand beside in line. Oh the fantasies I had.😊

I  was sort of bullied in my last year. Two lads took to calling me cutie every time they saw me. I  didn't  mind,  in fact I was a little  flattered. It never went any further though.

I  think that I was suspected of being gay by many people who knew me over the years. Looking back there were various jokes and comments. But  only a few times was I asked outright. Which I always denied because I  wasn't gay was I? If anything I  was more interested in girls for much of my life. Which just added to  myconfusion.🤔

As I  said before it would have been easier to be gay, if that's ever easy.

Things have  changed a lot though. Plenty of kids in my boys' school are out. No trans though. It's just taken for granted. My youngest has long hair and just got his ears pierced. He isn't gay but imagine getting your  ears pierced  back in the day. He'd  never hear the end of it.

Different times. Better times. But it's an irony that if things had been more liberal. I might never have had my boys. I can't imagine the world without them. A silver lining if you will.
Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:08 am

It would be easier today, times have and are changing fast.. it is becoming so, (apart from those that go way over the top), that dressing to blend in according to the why, where and whens, we can live our lives as we should. Rarely now does being who l am come to mind, usually only when l am posting here!!!

The sun is here again, but... a huge arm of rain is heading towards the South-West later this weekend, apparently... hopefully it will miss the mid South coast, where l dwell..

Well, my art took a turn and l am wondering if not only did l bite off more than l can chew, whether the job is worth it... l am painting chessmen...

...it was a viking set and the colours were awful! I picked it up at auction, it was a little battered so l moulded broken bits and they are all ok... but...

...the putty is white as they are chalkware and needed painting... so silly me thought, l will paint them all!!! Will it not be wonderful...??? l then decided it will be Norway v. Sweden, blues and yellows v. Red, white and blues...

It is taking ages!!!! I am on the first Knight and he is hard to do.... here is a pic of my first six, l am not doing all the pieces exactly the same, hair colour and boots and other small details giving each a character... but l am not that happy with the results ... here ...

Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant  tangents. - Page 8 20221118-105348

I may be finished by Christmas!!!

Well time to get on....

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:53 pm

I like them. I think your painting is excellent. No one would expect total realism. You should try and finish them before Christmas as someone would surely love the set as a gift. They look a lot like toy soldiers which are still very popular. Any military themed figures sell well at silly prices.

I painted model soldiers over the years. I went for realism. Although painting eyes the size of a pinprick was tricky. I even converted a figure into a model of me in my uniform. That was fun. I still have a couple of model soldiers tucked away. I might need a big magnifier to paint them now though.🤓

I always found painting them was therapeutic.

The sun is out here too warming up the living room. A few sunshowers too. Rather spring like. But like you we have a dose of heavy rain due in tomorrow. So I'm going to enjoy the sun while it lasts.

I got some mail this morning. It was addressed to Marie, not me but the now deceased previous owner. From a charity she obviously supported. The letter hinted that she might consider remembering them in her will. Too late for that I'm afraid. Poignant really.

There are little echoes of the previous Marie in the house but particularly the garden. She had lots of pots which we still have. Little flowers suddenly appear out of nowhere in spring. We haven't really put our stamp on it yet. Except that I put down a lawn to replace the gravelled back garden. I really want to put in a raised bed against the back wall and plant it with herbs and some veg. Plus a few flowers. We need a bbq too.

It'll be nice for next summer.

Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:06 pm

Thank you Marie, you are always supportive. I have nearly finished the Knight, then the King or Queen one more pawn and l will be 1/4 way....

I was out in the garden earlier, gosh it was cold with the strong sea breeze... the Deer have paid a visit last night... l may get Mushrooms!!!

It was just a tidy up, weeding and brushing the paving and drive aside my moby... yes, l shall think on about Summer and what l can do...

Last Summer my Cousin and l played croquet on the other lawn, the one that runs the other side of my moby... my set is only a cheap one, maybe if l got a pro one, it could be there permanent... and perhaps another shed at the back, one that is already made.... maybe... and l have decided to put Goldfish into my pond...

I have to wait until Spring though, they don't like new surrounds in cold weather...

So l am now watching Barbarians on the 'flix, l quite like it... l shall pour myself a glass of wine, lay along my sofa and put it on!!!

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:13 am

Yes I do think your chess pieces are cute. They all look so serious. Scandi serious. 😄 my wife is Scandinavian serious. Her name means viking in irish as I mentioned before. She's pure blonde and not inclined to take prisoners. 😄 A lot of Irish people have viking ancestors. She's definitely one of them.

My ancestors on the other hand fought the vikings. In fact one who shares my name was killed at the battle of Clontarf in 1014 by a Viking. . Yes we Irish remember history for a long time.🤪

In fact joking aside my wife's family does seem to have many attributes typical of Nordic countries. When I was dating her I would jokingly call her Helga. Because she dressed like a tourist. I'd say very loudly ' So Helga Vot do you think of Irlande.' She'd laugh and tell me to shut up. Great fun.

But instinctively I saw it in her. My boys went to Denmark this year with the scouts. They both felt comfortable in that country. Interesting.

I do enjoy and love her even with her perfectionism and ridiculous self criticism.

C, you mention 'Barbarians' on Netflix. Don't know it but will have a look.

My wife came across the 'Crown' . I kind of dismissed it because I remember the sordid details of the times.

But she wished we could watch something together we'd both enjoy. Actually I would enjoy the 'Crown' generally but now more so because we could bond again.

Liz

Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Lynn Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:26 pm

Good morning Lovelies.

I’m sorry I’ve been so quiet these past few days. I don’t recover as quickly as I one did when crossing time zones.

Celia, those chess pieces are gorgeous. I so envy your talent with a brush. I have the talent of a brick where the fine arts are concerned. My creative gifts seem to be more in the area of woodworking and landscaping. I’ve not done any woodworking in a good long while and would like to get back to it as I have most of the essential tools.

Marie, I have one raised bed I use for herbs and a few vegetables. I want to build another. The wood - western red cedar is naturally rot resistant and weathers to a lovely silvery grey color. It’s 4 ft x 16 ft x 20 in deep and is filled with compost I make..

I’m having a good time with my daughter and her family. My grandson is competing in a junior bass fishing tournament today. Though it’s sunny, it’s cold so I hope he took enough clothing layers. We’ll take my granddaughter to her dance class today, then my daughter and I will go to a farmer’s market if it’s still open, otherwise I’m sure we will find someplace to do some retail therapy.

~  Liz
Elizabeth Lynn
Elizabeth Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:14 pm

Yes Liz, I'm  not  sure whether to use bricks or wood  for my raised bed. There was once a surplus of railway sleepers, now they fake them. But I  can get old victorian  bricks for about a Euro  a brick. I prefer  bricks but  wood is good.

Bass  fishing. I never fished  being a  city child. My eldest son expressed an  interest. But I'm  clueless.

Given we're  near the  sea, when in season you  can catch mackerel from the harbour. But if you  have the  money you can fish for salmon  from the  weir in the  city centre. Tourists gather on the  bridge to watch the  spectacle. You can also watch the  salmon jump the weir.

I often  see nature documentaries depicting salmon  making their way upriver somewhere like Alaska. But I can  do it in town with a  caffe latte in my paw. No bears round here.

My wife and I  agree we need to  head into the  city, some evening, visit the Christmas Market. Some  shopping, a meal, some  drinks and a trip home in  one of the  four  buses that pass our door.

A Christmas  treat. It's  a small  city centre  but it's  magical at this time of the year. The narrow medieval streets really  lend themselves to  festival appearances. Beautiful lights. Quite a  lot of  buildings haven't changed in centuries.

Even the  shopping centre includes part of the  city  walls.

Built to  keep the  Irish  out.😄

We tend to  take it for  granted .
Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:04 pm

Christmas.... l am behind... l do have my cards, wrapping paper and 2023 calendar, but that's it! I must up my game to get it done by the end of November...

I could have got gift cards, stamps and other non perishables today in actuality of factualness... but with the cold rain, l just wanted to get my groceries and get home...

My Cousin is coming just before Christmas and my best friend is coming this year, she has done before... we both live alone... we play scrabble and other games and both like the same tv programmes... dinner is at a neighbours this year, the nice old couple had invited just me, l declined explaining l would not be alone, so they invited my friend too...

I have been invited to the ward party at the hospital, where l worked part time, until June this year, I was very pleased about that, but l know they all kinda took to me... My Mother, Sister and elder Brother are coming down before Christmas too, then there is the moby site do, oh my, all are clashificatingly close, l will be glad for January to come by the end of it all...

So the football started... it does not seem very World Cuppy... l tend to flick on for the second half only for football, 90 minutes is very long...

Qatari authorities would not welcome me no doubt...

Anyway, Norway did not qualify, but England play Iran and later Wales play the USA... l expect England and USA to qualify in the four team group, comprising those teams... but Brazil ny to win the cup. I like certain teams, Wales and USA being two of them, Denmark and Uruguay coz of Edison Cavani.... Embarassed

Well, more coffee must be slurpicated, for l have to buy some bits and bobs on amazon...

Celia xx

Last edited by Celia Eriksson on Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Because l spelt Edison wrong.....)

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:27 pm

Well England did  the job but  they let me down  badly. Harry Kane never had a shot on target and Marcus Rashford never provided an assist. In fact the opposite occurred.

I  speak through my pocket because my online bookmaker  gave me a free bet as they often do, to encourage me to  lose money on sports of which I know nothing. When I  do  bet it's horse racing.

I have to say that despite the  scoreline I feel England didn't impress. Not that I  know  much about football. But I  think you're right about England and the USA qualifying.
Much as I  love my fellow Celts,  Wales.

I have to say though, awarding  the World Cup to Qatar is bizarre. It was always going to  end in tears. The word is corruption. It was bad enough giving it to  Russia last  time.

Christmas, if you're  behind. I'm  still in the  dressing room. We're not even sure where we'll spend Christmas. My wife  thought her youngest  sister might invite us over. She  hasn't  taken the  hint. I'd rather stay  home  frankly.

On Christmas tradition is back, my wife's eldest sister always  had  a get  together in her house for  everyone before  Christmas. Luckily it's a  big  house  because my wife has six sisters, two  brothers and assorted and associated in laws  and kids. Covid interrupted that tradition. One  tradition that remains is her husband who has a fine  wine celler, well  collection. He's  notably mean so no one gets drunk on his wine. 😄

Despite our Irish reputation for partying. My wife's  family definitely don't  fit the cliche. It's all  rather  staid and sensible. In my family who  do fit the  cliche I'm the  boring one. My wife actually thinks I'm a loose cannon with two sherries inside me.🤣 Of course  when  she's  at my family parties. She loves the mayhem but  never  joins in.  Mostly!!!!

Ah Christmas.

Of course  Liz is looking forward to  Thanksgiving like  most  Americans. We don't celebrate it yet but black Friday has taken  hold. Not that my family pay any attention.

One  thing today. I watched the live feed from Artemis and image of the  'big blue marble ' from the moon. We are tiny in the  scheme things. Frank  Boorman in 1968 made the  point. He said  he could  cover the Earth with  his thumb such is our diminished  importance in the  vastness of space.

So I  sat on the  sofa under my blanket, you know heat off, save the planet. Save money more like.

Watching our planet  from afar. Reminded me of that late  July  night when  I  sat under  another  blanket aged nine and watched Armstrong touch the moon with his boot lightly and then step down. I honestly don't remember his words. But  I  felt the  moment.

I  doubt  my nine year old self  would believe it  all  ended a couple of  year later and only  now in 2022 there  are tentative steps to go back. Poignantly Artemis apparently overflew the Apollo 11 landing site. Untouched by time.

I also  imagine my nine year old self would be  impatient at my current  rather cynical self who  thinks it's a waste of time and money and ultimately doomed to failure.

If it splashes  down  successfully next  month I'll  be surprised. Even if it does I  doubt the funding will  continue.  Such  was the  fate of the Apollo  program.

Sorry  nine year old me.😔

I  hope nine year  old  me wins the  day.
Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:33 am

I was awoken to watch that, a long time ago now... my Father was sceptical... way ahead of his time... he said it was probably in a South Western US desert, for the Americans simply could not live with the Russians getting there first...

...and l kind of believed that. At that time... for l later was told that the Russians, British and French tracked the landing at the time and it was unlikely the Russians would allow such a feint to occur...

I am not a great thinker, l have plenty of imagination when it comes to arts and the like, but philosophy? Not so much... so when it comes to space, l simply have views that have probably been influenced by others...

Such as l do believe we are alone, as sentinent beings at thus moment in time... Earth is almost uniqie with the size of its single moon, the tilt of it, the wobble, its size, its orbit, the size of the Sun... hard to replicate...

And though there have and are others with this uniqueness, they are few... and time is so long, 13 or 14 billion years and we only found radio 150 years ago snd are on the verge of destroying ourselves...

It seems that the chances of two civilizations existing at the same time are very, very slim... though life no doubt exists elsewhere, it will likely be unintelligent at this moment and probably very far away.

Gosh that is profoundical!!!

Well, coffee finished, so it is time for the chessmen, then off to the auctions later...

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next