The Transgender Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant tangents.

4 posters

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant  tangents. - Page 9 Empty Re: Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant tangents.

Post  Mariehart11 Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:13 pm

Yes the moon landings hoax idea has been well and truly debunked. There's even photos taken recently showing the landing sites as they are now. Which is to say frozen in time. To be fair it is quite unbelievable that we went from first powered flight to landing on the moon in only 66 years.

I agree with you about aliens. There's bound to be life out there, even in this solar system. But an advanced civilisation like ours? Well it's a big galaxy and huge universe so it's completely possible. But not very common . I'm afraid Star Trek has given many people a false impression of the future. Me being one of them. ET may be out there but they are staying at home.

Well it's a nice day out there again so I better get on.
Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant  tangents. - Page 9 Empty Re: Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant tangents.

Post  Elizabeth Lynn Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:24 pm

I was 15 that summer and fascinated by all technology, but especially flight technology. I hazard to say that that is what lead me to the AF 12 years later despite not becoming a pilot.

My most astounding realization at the time was the impact on my maternal grandfather, born in 1898. He was 5 years old when the write brothers made their first powered flight. He was a stoic, quiet, understated man that rarely spoke of himself. But when Armstrong set foot on the moon he was over ome with emotion. A true witness to the history behind f powered flight. To my knowledge he never set foot in any sort of flying machine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~  Liz
Elizabeth Lynn
Elizabeth Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:47 pm

My maternal Grandfather was 1, born in 1902... very Victorian minded, raised my English Mother who raised me, l guess some Victorian is in me...

He was quite the man... looked like Frank Sinatra, a dead spit, ladies of the twenties and thirties liked him aplenty. My Granmother soon tamed him apparently, well, when he was onshore, for he was Steward/Chief Steward in the Navy and served at the end of the first war until 1938.. he was reserved occupation but still was an ARP for the second war...

I have seen his list of ships... there were lots...

I had an interesting evening at the auction, a very strange walking stick for £3, a porcelain large nativity scene for 9 and a bunch of medals for 18... l have checked the medals out, they are worth a couple of hundred!!! But, that is what people are asking, the reality is probably less...

In tge garden, freezing... l am going in for fishcake and chips!!!

Celia xx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant  tangents. - Page 9 Mtm  Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant  tangents. - Page 9 Ancestralnewhomeandrespectednations-2         Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant  tangents. - Page 9 IMG-0144-3                                                
Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow.
Mary Tyler Moore (1936-2017).
Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

http://thetransgendertimes.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:47 pm

Yes people  from that era lived through an extraordinary time. It's  all fizzled out now. At least the speed of it. The microlectronic era speeds on. We all came in at the end but I  for one used to  be happy back in the sixties that I  was born in 'modern times'. Cars, aeroplanes, helicopters, TV and modern  plumbing. I'd visited my country cousins with their outdoor toilet.😶

Having said that we didn't  have a car but a TV with one station. We lived in a 'modern' house but  with  only one fireplace. No fridge,  no washing machine. No record player. Luckily the only TV channel did show the  moon landings live.

To be fair it was just  us. We were relatively poor  compared to our neighbours. But we were happy. Dad could  be hard, on me in particular but not often and Mammy was a pushover. He didn't  drink or be violent. Just low paid. We never went  without food and if occasionally the electricity was cut off and the TV repossessed. We took it in our stride.

Once I  started working I  brought  more money into the house. That's why college was never an option for me. I didn't emigrate to London either like most of my contemporaries. Perhaps a mistake? Perhaps not.

But I  digress as usual.

It's  stormy out there today. Not too bad, more interesting than scary. But  with the Atlantic ocean so close we get the brunt of it. Having said it's just got a little  worse and I can hear the big Coast Guard Sikorsky nearby which  probably means someone is in trouble. Not safe and cosy like me.

Yesterday was  much  nicer and I  met my friend for coffee in town. She arrived looking very stylish. Black polo top, knee length skirt wit a colourful geometric pattern. A pair of 'combat' boots but with  a sweet glitzy touch of some small glitter bands amongst the laces. I complimented with  my usual combination of dysphoria and envy. That's exactly the style I'd like to emulate. Sigh!

Anyway we chatted away about  everything and nothing. Very  pleasant. As I  said before. I very much  suspect she knows more than  she  pretends. But the elephant was across the room sipping her caffe latte so we paid her no mind.

Later  my wife and I went to  a parent, teacher meeting in the school. Astonishly I've  never been in it before thanks to covid. It was built in Victorian times and outwardly looks the same. But thats only a facade.

Inside it was modern and clean with  amazing  facilities. As I imagine a modern high school in the US. Clearly a lot of money was spent on it recently. Unsurprisingly given that it's  students mostly come from the more affluent side of the population of this city. Nothing  like my background. I'm intimidated in mornings as I  manoeuvre my little car amongst best of Bavaria and Stuttgart. Too big for our medieval streets really.

Anyway  my  son is doing OK. They  all  say he's a bit  quiet  but  nothing too bad.

Interesting about your Grandfather, Celia.  Mine was a bit of a rogue, ended up in Gaol at one  point before joining the pre war regular army in 1913. Probably for all usual  reasons. He was a Gunner during the war. But  we know  little else.

Afterwards he was in the merchant navy as a Stoker. We have list of his ships too. Then he disappeared in the thirties after marrying and having several children. My Dad included. He was never seen again. Quite the mystery. My sister traced his sister to the US and came across several US cousins who bear a strong resemblance to us.

Such interesting times they all lived through it.

Well I  better get on and do  some  housework. Such is the  trivial world I  live in.
Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:17 pm

This afternoon I  collected my boys  from  school and headed home by the  prom.  But the combination of the high tide and wind meant we were lashed by the  sea which  flooded the road . My windscreen was salted up.

The boys  were delighted but once we  turned off into the  suburbs. It all  ended.

The savage sea and the boring suburbs. Cheek by jowl.

As I  sit here about to retire to bed. The wind howls in the  Scotch Pines outside my window. It's a  natural symphony. I  almost  feel the wind knows this.

It's rather masculine. He plays the trees.

But the sound is relaxing.

I'll sleep well.

Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:21 am

Do you remember when calculators came out, around 74? We were all amazed!!! A battery operated little box that was so clever... incredible...

We all felt we were in the real tech age... the Cadburys advert 1971 that went something like In the ... jet setting 1970s isnt it good to know, we still have the taste of cadburys dairy milk...

The space programme, Joe 90, Captain Scarlet, Star Trek... those were times we thought it could not get more techy... but you are right, it did...

We were comfortable, but we only got one present at Christmas, it would be something worth about £30/$35 in todays money... not the piles children receive today...

We never wanted for basics though, my Father made sure of that, we ate well, good English food, my Mother was a very good cook. It was set to some degree as well. Mondays would always be the Sunday roast joint leftover used in casserole, stew, salad or  the like... Friday was fish, even though we were Anglican. Saturdays was bangers, mash and onions, Sundays a full roast dinner...

I remember her getting adventurous one teatime... spaghetti bolognese... we thought, wow, how exotic!!!! So we were all very excited  But... she had not told my Father of the venture... his ended up upon my siblings plates, my being the youngest, l was deemed to have quite enough... my Mother told us to start and cooked my Father an omelette...

When l first moved to the coast my lips took a month to get used to the salt... l still have plenty of nivea coloured balms that l took to using, until l got used to the salt in the air...

And although the Solent is far from being un-naughty, (its strange currents bedevilled the Spanish Armada back in the day), salt is not quite a problem to cover my screen here... salt eats cars, so keep an eye on that!

The windyness is a pain, l go out with perfect hair and by the time l am in Helga it is akin to a scarecrows mane... the nature park has large trees of course, but they are a couple of hundred yards away... l just have a Plum Tree in the garden, a small Holly and a (edit: sorry not Larch), Laurel on the side, the Laurel l have to clip, else the twigs brush the roof of my Moby...

The naughty wind sprites do sing here too, as they whirl around, but l do sleep ok, once l enter John O'Dreams domain...

So today is housework... difficult to start after 3 hours cleaning this morning, but once l get going...

Celia xx

Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant  tangents. - Page 9 Mtm  Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant  tangents. - Page 9 Ancestralnewhomeandrespectednations-2         Thoughts,vague ideas and pleasant  tangents. - Page 9 IMG-0144-3                                                
Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:23 pm

Spaghetti? We had spaghetti. It came in a tin. 😄 We had curry too. Vesta curry. Remember that? Empty the contents into a saucepan and just add water. Very exotic.

Being 'good' Catholics we of course avoided meat on Fridays. So off to the chipper for fish and chips on a Friday. There was always a queue though. So at times it was just fish fingers, mash and peas. My wife still loves that meal though. Her parents were very strict Catholics.

Sunday lunch was always special in our house and until my Mother died the whole family often went home on Sundays for a roast. As the extended family grew it got bigger and bigger.

After she died, we sold the house but had one last Sunday lunch there. I was the host this time because my family were staying there. It was a lovely final goodbye to the house and our parents.

Ah nostalgia.
Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Lynn Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:35 pm

Nostalgia is right Marie!

Thinking back, I realize as a family, we never worried about food. We didn’t have much in the way of prepared food other than the few vegetables we didn’t grow in the garden for any particular year.

We home butchered out beef, pork and occasionally a mutton, something for which I never developed a taste. My mom could prepare it such that most people couldn’t tell it was mutton, but I could. It didn’t help that the only sheep we butchered was always an old, dry ewe that failed to carry lambs the previous year. I hated sheep, they were the most contrary, stupid, labor intensive animals on the farm. Some years my brothers and I would raise and butcher rabbits, but mostly I hunted wild rabbits of which there was no shortage.

We also had chickens most years and my mom and aunts would butcher 30 to 50 chickens, young fryers, and divide them among the families. Of course, we had no shortage of eggs. Oh, we also had at least 1 milk cow, sometimes 2 or three. I started milking the cow when I was about 5. When finished the full bucket was too heavy for me to carry the 100 yards to the house, so mom would drive the car to the barn and haul it back.

My mom grew a huge garden each year and canned tomatoes, sweet corn, pickles, strawberries, carrots, red beets, and green beans . Some years she bought flats of peaches and canned those.

LLooking back, I don’t know how my mom got everything done since she also had 3 adventurous llittle boys to chase after. But then I also remember becoming a full time farm hand from the time I was about 10 years old.

We didn’t have extras, but we had what we needed. We lived paycheck to paycheck which a lot of people do, but our payday came once a year when we harvested our sugar beet crop. My dad diversified gradually, raising beets, cattle, sheep and small grains as the farm became more established and he bought more ground. We then sold the lamb crop, wool from the adult sheep, calves, alfalfa hay, wheat, excess oats and occasionally barley for feed.

We lived about 30 miles of gravel road from town and large grocery stores, so trips to town were a once a month affair unless a critical equipment repair part that we couldn’t fabricate ourselves was needed. We did have a post office that housed a small grocery store that sold essentials.

It was a good, but hard life, but we knew nothing else and made the best of it. But I didn’t go back to farming after college, instead joined the Air Force and saw the world.

Many memories there too.

~  Liz
Elizabeth Lynn
Elizabeth Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:47 pm

Just thinking it's Thanksgiving today. No doubt Liz is enjoying Turkey day.

I might just get some turkey for dinner.
Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Lynn Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:18 pm

That it is.

I’ve been feeling a bit guilty because I’m not home with my son who is mostly alone. However, I spoke to him earlier this morning and he is going to a dinner with his daughter and her mother’s family. I’m relieved.

Wishing you both many happy wishes and thankfulness for getting to know you.

~  Liz
Elizabeth Lynn
Elizabeth Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:22 pm

Well I  popped out to Tesco and got a turkey breast stuffed with a 'traditional apple and cranberry stuffing. Sounds interesting. There'll mashed potatoes and gravy. A mini thanksgiving meal.

I  told the boys what I  was doing and was asked cheekily  'What do we have to be thankful for?' Thankful I'm still alive and here to cook your dinner, was my reply.🤣

Your upbringing Liz, is the classical all American farm boy/girl. I suppose not dissimilar to rural  families here. But  even though we lived in the  suburbs many people  grew vegetables in their  gardens. Our neighbour had a chicken  coop. Many houses built here at the  time had big gardens so people could  grow vegetables. My Dad grew potatoes in our garden. So Irish!

Our house was at the time was at the edge of the city. With  farms at the back of the house. Cows would stray into our garden sometimes and I and my pal  became quite adept at herding them. We even got a bar of chocolate from the nuns for chasing the cattle out of the local convent grounds.

We had  mutton too. I'm  not a fan but of course it's the basis of Irish stew. I don't even  know where you can get it anymore. Lamb is a premium product though. Expensive!

Happy Thanksgiving American cousins.
Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:09 am

I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving Liz, as Marie says, we do not celebrate it... l am not partial to Turkey though... give me a free range corn fed Chicken any day...

There are not many places l would choose to live, over my little country retreat or Norway... but USA is one l would find acceptable... probably New England... Vermont or Maine seem my kind of states. I would move tomorrow were l permitted.

Of the warmer places, only Cyprus would do... l did consider it once, for l have two sets of friends over there, they did suggest l should... but l decided against it... l harbour few regrets as such, but do wonder how things might be if l did... l won't now.

Having travelled to Japan many times and considered a course in teaching English to go there... it is truly a very wonderful country... but costing things, l realised that as l always live in a property that l own, it would be too difficult, the rules and expense for what could, (should l become unhappy), be for just a few years there, not worthwhile...

Ireland, probably the west coast. Clare, Maries Galway or Donegal up in the north... it is possible, should l ever regain wunderlust...

New Zealand was another... not now though, l am too old for them.

Well, the World Cup continues, Wales v. Iran is on at the moment... the upset of Argentina by the Saudis is the biggest upset yet, it could send the Argentines out...

And England play USA tonight... winning is not crucial for England, they smashed Iran and goal average is high. But, if England lose, it would mean the Wales game would settle who continues in the cup...

I miss Ireland not being there, l remember watching them every game when Jack Charlton was boss, l think they could have gone much further than they did, perhaps the best chance ever for them, but were a little unlucky...

On Netflix l watched Morgan Freemans' Universe show last night, a lovely mix of science and nature... worth a watch... l like him, he has a voice like silk...

It is a beautiful morning here, the Sun is out and it is tranquil..  just lovely... l shall garden, but l do need another coffee, the TV is on and l shall watch the second half of Wales/Iran first...

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:16 pm

I see England v USA is on now. I'm staying strictly  neutral on that one.🤫

Ireland isn't there and I'm a bit glad. I don't think I  could
cope with the stress.😱

The current  manager has a young team and seems to have a plan. Maybe next  time. The Jack Charlton era was amazing. I'm  hardly a football fan but it wasn't about the football so much as the way you had something that made you proud to Irish in a time when  there wasn't much to proud of.

The irony that much of the team had English and Scottish accents and the manager was a true blue Englishman who won the world Cup with England in  '66 didn't  matter at all.

It was a great time.

Places I'd like to Iive?  France for one. I do like  France.  of England too. Yes Vermont is lovely. I really liked it and the people. Even a holiday home. A friend has just headed to Spain to the vacation home he has a share in. Won't be back until January. Lucky bastard🙂

Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:30 pm

A short time ago. there was a flash of lightning, less than three seconds later there was a crash of thunder. Overhead obviously

But it's November in Ireland. We don't have thunder. We never have thunder this time of the year.

We have rain, soft rain. Atlantic storms yes but the met office aren't talking about thunderstorms.

I'm trained as a pilot, all the exams. But the weather doesn't fit the exams for this region.

Thunderstorms in November is unusual.

Interesting weather.
Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:42 am

Oh, we get them aplenty in the Solent... if the jet stream is South and warm air gets drawn up, or conversely North winds are cold an meet over the channel, Thor gets very angry indeed... and he likes to hug the coastline too ..

It is a little brighter today, it still rained all of yesterday and this morning, but some blue sky is to be seen, so the Sun pokes his nose through for a few moments now and then... everything is supersquidgical at the moment, we are lucky that the land slopes steadily down to the sea here... no erosion either, the coastline is quite stable...

Well, quite a weekend... l did my antique fair... everyone was great fun... except an argumentative man... l have a German foundary original sign made of aluminium, it is WWII... the man argued that very fact...

I told him l knew it was WWII and the Luftwaffe used ally... for aeroplanes... he was with his wife and made out l was silly... l told him that the Germans almost had all the aluminium, l believe the Americans used Bauxite, such was the shortage... but he poohed me and said ally was not around then...

Ho-hum... least to say he did not buy... l covered my fee which was good and about 20 pounds on top... but in reality that is a loss... my initial buying of the objects... glad l only do a fair occasionally. My next one is January..

So l am feeling lazy because of the busyness, most unlike me, l shall put my towels in to wash and watch the World Cup...

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:13 pm

So what did he think Luftwaffe aeroplanes were made of? 🤔 Daft bugger.

Aluminium has been around for a long time. Duralinum is used to build aircraft which is just aluminium with a bit of copper added.

During WW2 there was a campaign 'Saucepans into Spitfires'. To encourage people to hand in scrap metal. Trouble was the metal in your saucepan is no good for Spitfires. But it was a good slogan. Of course after the war a lot of Spitfires ended up as saucepans.😪

Not much excitement in my life. Which is either a good or bad thing depending on your perspective.

Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:30 pm

I quite like WWII stuff. It was a historical time the rusult which  literally saved the world from a very dark age.

I have written of my fascination of flying boats, it probably is in my blood... they were popular in the fjords back in the day... still are in places... apart from that l think they are the most beautiful aircraft.

I have quite a lot of badges  buckles, medals from the era and hundreds of buttons. I have used the buttons on clothes before now, because they do not really have any use or value, though people collect them.

I have some bits from the Napoleonic era, one is a small 'badge' of sorts, probably made around the 1850s for veterans... l thought it was a tourist keepsake, until l was told different.

I was on amazon looking for a bathroom shelf... and it occured to me... l have a nice 1960s shelf, with three little drawers in... l just painted it yellow and will do some rosemaling on it later... with acrylic and plasticoat to protect...  as l cannot use oil based in winter indoors.

As l get older, l am sure my memory gets worse... nearly paid 25 for a shelf...

I need one for l have too much around the shower tray... shampoos, razors, conditioner and shower creams are in the shower tray shelf, but all my body oils, foams, sprays and the like are like nine pins on the tray edges. So, knock one over and several seem to topple... and there are more than nine!

So it is England v. Wales tonight, l may see the last twenty minutes or so, coz it is auction night. I just phoned the auction house and it is on... which surprised me, because it is run by men, the majority of buyers are men, which is nice, of course.... well, perhaps we can get the bargains tonight whilst the men watch football...

I think it would be nice for Wales if they won, but l doubt they will... my prediction of USA and England qualifying still stands, even though it is far from certain.

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:28 pm

Flying boats, well once upon a time the Solent was the place to be if you liked flying boats. Supermarine of Spitfire fame had their factory near Southampton. Before the Spitfire they built mostly flying boats. In fact  there's a museum in Southampton with  a flying boat you can actually go inside. Pause here while  I  Google.......yes it's called Solent Sky.

I  would love to go on a journey in a flying  boat particularly the luxury version. But  none fly or float anymore. Big ones  anyway. There's a few small ones around.

I know what you mean about clutter in bathrooms. It's a dice with death at times in the shower with everything scattered about. I  need a bathroom cabinet. In fact three. None of the bathrooms have a cabinet or shelves. First world problem 🤣🤣  Oh dawling, it's so awful having to  clean three bathrooms and a downstairs toilet. I  need a maid.😃

As for the football, well Wales could  spring a surprise. They have the twin motivation of qualifying and sticking it to the 'auld enemy'. On these islands we all want to beat the English. Which I suppose is kind of a compliment to England. It'll be a tense match.

My only  news is that I  bought a new electric razor. I hate shaving and having to shave.☹  It's called a  Philips one blade. It's  cute and very  modern.

But I  mention it only because it properly introduced me to 'manscaping'. It came with several gadgets, one for trimming 'sensitive' areas and underarms?  So everything I used to do furtively over the years is now mainstream male. I never thought I'd see the day. There's even a whole shelf of manscaping products in Tesco. Maybe I'm  last to notice. I  usually am.

Hope the auction goes well, C.
Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:22 pm

Hi Marie, l did know that... about flying boats... the Itchen is ten miles from me, l am East of the Hamble nearing Fareham... yes ,the Spits, well the Supermarines, were flown down here and there are lots of roads round here named after lots of aeroplame heroes, such as Barnes-Wallis...

They built sailing ships here too, back in the day and this area was very famous for Strawberry growing...  one last famous thing is the day of the fair, lots... and l mean many people, makes life size rag dummies and place them by the roads... nothing special, anything goes, they are there for a couple of weeks...

God only knows where the tradition comes from, nobody l have asked knows, but always remember it having happened... maybe l should delve deeper, there has to be a reason... anyway, it is a great fete, everyone goes, lots of stalls and right next to the sea...

So England won and topped the group, USA second. Now England face Ghana, the USA meet Holland...

Australia and France are through too... so far.

The auction was not busy of course, not much there either. I did win two very nice antique French fencing foils and a fly fishing box, with boxed, new vintage reels, lots of flys and other things... 1970s l guess. Someone must have wanted to try it, but never went after buying pretty good kit. I paid 18, it is worth more...

...the 'swords' are both worth around 100, l got them both for 10... oh and l bought, well won the bid on, a WWI sweetheart badge of the Royal Artillery for 8, maybe not such a good buy, they were quite a lot more common than l imagined...

Today was cleaning, after cleaning again. I wanted moby looking nice, the gasman comes tomorrow to service my boiler.

I had better make my tea, Spaghetti Bolognese...

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:25 pm

An hour away from here there's Foynes
A natural  harbour. In WW2 it was a stopover  for the clippers from the US to Britain. Famously it was the  place  where Irish coffee was invented. Whiskey in a coffee with a  cream  head, intended to warm the  passengers on the flying boats when  they  arrived for refuelling. Ireland  being  allegedly neutral in the  war. There's a museum there now with a  mockup flying boat. It's  pretty  cool though.

The life  size dummy  thing is interesting. Intriguing indeed.  Obviously a local tradition. I'd  love to  know what it represents.

Great to see England through. Sorry  for  Wales but it was a stretch. England  did  me  a massive favour because Paddy Power bookmakers gave  me a  free  bet builder for a fiver. I  won  €55 knowing nothing about football. Knowing a bit  more about  horses. I added to that and put €80 In my bank  account on top of the €60 I placed earlier. A good  week, if only it was so easy all the time. Gambling does have its  moments. But my bets are small so I'm not  about to  lose the  house.

I  like the  swords you bought. They seem  cool. Something I'd like. But if I  bought them  my boys would
probably use them on each other. Bloody hooligans.

The Royal  Artillery sweetheart  badge is interesting. My Grandad was in the RA in WW1. I doubt he had a sweetheart though at the  time. He seems to be bit of a rogue. Perhaps a French  girl locally. Who knows.

This morning I  woke with a feeling that stayed all day. It's  hard to  explain. I dreamt while  half awake that I  was living as a  woman, yet rejecting it. I  even could  see the  clothes I was wearing. Very stylish I  must say.

But I  woke up feeling content and quite comfortable with myself knowing what I  needed to  do. I  still feel that way  now. I had a nice day.

Long  may it  continue.

If only I had access to hormones.
Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:15 am

...well don't wish too much, hrt make me pee lots, l do suspect that it might be the spiro though... every outing is pee-planned. The energy thing l am used to, as is  being quite weak and also getting tired by 8 pm... but l did not go hyper loony, like some do...

The boiler man has just gone, he balanced my rads... he asked if my bedroom rad was ok, it is the only rad that heats to the top... my bedroom sliding door had been left open... l guess he did not want to dare venture inside my den....

But, he was nice enough... l am waiting for the boiler to kick in so l can see if the other rads get hot at the top now...

Jack Frost visited this morning, Helga deals with frost in a couple of minutes, l was at my cleaning job on time... the Sun is out, which is lovely... but it is cold, cold, cold!!!

Christmas decorations today and get my Cousins bedding sorted, she comes tomorrow until Sunday. We will go shop Saturday... and have coffee and cake at our favourite little cafè...

Oh, my Great Grandfather on my Mothers side was in the RA, he was a driver... l believe he rode the lead horse of a gun carriage pull, rather than drove a horse drawn ammunition cart. He worked with Horses in civilian life. He was killed at Passiondale, l know... spelt wrong... maybe he knew your Grandfather!!!!

I know he was born in 1868, (a bastard, a very rare thing then, only his Mothers name on the BC), and was in his late 40's which is quite odd really. I have a picture of him in uniform, holding a short whip in his hand, hence why l believe he rode one of the two lead Horse, as happened back then...

So a coffee, look to see where my amazon parcel is and the get started...

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Lynn Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:59 pm

Well, here it is, December 1st. Time is going by way too fast for me.

I am back in Idaho. Flight was long but uneventful. I miss my daughter and her family already.

Today will be a day of unpacking, laundry and some housekeeping. I also have a class to co-reach on LGBT cultural competencies to a group of social work interns at the VA hospital. Fortunately it’s virtual so I don’t have to travel there. It’s only about 12 miles, but I’m not up to getting ready and driving there.

It’s dark , dreary and rainy this morning. Rain is supposed to turn to snow this afternoon. The weather forecast is for 2 to 3 feet of snow for the higher elevations. Happy to see snowpack building this early..

Time to start my day.

~  Liz
Elizabeth Lynn
Elizabeth Lynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:27 pm

Liz, your weather is quite  familiar to me. Dark and dreary. But this is early December after all. No chance of  snow just  yet. In fact  practically the whole of Europe has to be  blanketed in snow before we get any. Oddly enough my first  white  Christmas was the first time I came here with  my then girlfriend. It was also  my first Christmas away from my family.

It was strange because it  snowed overnight on Christmas eve. So we  woke to a white Christmas. It was gone the next  day. Very unusual.

Someone pointed out that it seemed like  someone got a  Christmas wish just for the  day.

It never  happened since.

I  understand  missing family. When I  was flying I  could  be  gone for days. I might be soaring among the  clouds, living the dream and all I  could think about was my  boys. I  hate to think how I'd  feel if I  was on a deployment typical of the  military. Even  last  weekend one went away on Scout  camp. But he was on my mind all  weekend.

Time is going too  fast.

Celia, I  don't  really  have to  worry about hormone  side effects. I  doubt I'll  ever  experience them. Here it's at least  two years more likely  three. I'm  more  likely to win the lottery.

Interesting about your  great Grandfather. I  can't  spell Passchendale either. Mine  survived obviously because this thread wouldn't exist otherwise. My great  Uncle on my Granny's  side  didn't. He was killed in 1918 when several of the  Irish  regiments were all but  wiped out. I would love to  visit his grave in France. I suspect no has ever visited. He's  absolutely  forgotten.

I  got the  boys  to bring down the  Christmas decorations today. They  set up a  few. A couple of  wooden soldiers now  sit  stoically on the  mantlepiece. We have a  couple of artificial Christmas  trees. One  for the  kitchen, one for the  office. We'll  buy a  big real tree  for the  living room. If three Christmas trees seem  excessive well Michael Bublé confessed he had eight. One  for each room. I like  Michael Bublé.

Maybe I  could  stretch to four. Hmmm🤫
Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Celia Eriksson Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:54 am

It has been busy... and it is dreary here too Liz... clodicals and cold. Waiting for my Cousin to arrive... l stopped at the Co-op on the way home and got her a voucher for xmas.

I do have the number and location of my Great Grandfathers grave... it is in Abbeyville, l think that is right, it sounds very English so may be spelt wrong again.

A lot of people forget the Irish efforts... and others... there were lots of Irish in British cities back then, the men were generally labourers but not all.

Never forget, the Duke of Wellington, Arthur Wellesey was born in Eire. When l was young, a very good friend of mine was from Donegal, Cathy McLoughlin, or it may have been Loughlin... she was a thick set, strong girl, very pretty. We got on so very well...

I think her home town was Dunmore, not sure, but what l mean to say is her husband was a labourer and that was in the 90s... nicest person, she was, that l have ever known.

Think of them, Irish, English, Scot and Welsh... in a foreign land... fighting for God knows what... the Germans, Austrisns etc., quite the same. A waste of life. Here is a youtube tune that can bring tears to the eye...

Very sad song....

Well, l had better get on and put the kettle on, she will be here soon... l guess we will chat for hours... shopping tomorrow!! Gonna be fun!!!

Celia xx

Celia Eriksson
Celia Eriksson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariehart11 Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:46 pm

Yes they do say the Irish built the motorways of Britain. The Irish navvy or builder was such a cliché. The women were all nurses. These days people don't need to emigrate but they still do.

Wellington was indeed Irish, Anglo Irish of course. Interestingly it's been said that as much as 40% of his army was Irish, even nominally English or Scottish regiments. Even today there are two Irish regiments in the British army. Although not every soldier is Irish born. But many are of course. Some join the British army because frankly they see the Irish army as too small with limited opportunities for a career or action.

C, your Donegal friend might have been from Dungloe. But there's lots of places with Dun (fort) in the name. I'll bet she had dark hair, pale skin and blue eyes. There's a Donegal look. Often very good looking. You get the same in connemara. Almost foreign looking.

You mention the Germans in the war. Each region used to countries in their own right. They didn't always get on. There was a story about Germans in the trench opposite the British being Saxons. One day they sent a message that they were being replaced by Prussians. They told the British to 'Give them hell'. I don't think any of them liked the Prussians.🤣

Well nearly dinner time. I fancy making a spice bag for the boys. They love that.
Mariehart11
Mariehart11

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next